We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul and Cappadocia

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Istanbul and Cappadocia

Hi, I am planning a visit to Istanbul in November during Thanksgiving break for the first time. Is November too cold a month to visit Turkey?

Any advice on planning this trip will be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to visit Cappadocia. What would be the best way to plan this trip? I am on a budget. How expensive is food and travel in Turkey? I will be traveling from Dallas, Texas.

Thanks

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,421 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul and Cappadocia

JayaDallas_TX, A fellow Texan, member "Sharonmaek" can help you best. She visited Istanbul twice last year.

However, I think you can handle a budget trip and November will be a good time to visit Istanbul. Your plane fares will be around 1000 USD/person , RT. Have a look. "skyscanner.com.tr/flights/dfwa/ista/121120/1…". I suggest you use one of the non stop direct flights of Turkish Airlines from US cities to Istanbul.

November is also a good time to visit Cappadocia. You can fly there from Istanbul. Check "www.bulucak.com" for schedules and fares of domestic flights. You can either fly to Nevsehir or Kayseri and then transfer to Goreme, Urgup, Uchisar, etc. for your stay which could be about 3 days. If you have only 7 days in Turkey, I suggest 5 days Istanbul and 2 days in Cappadocia.

For budget hotels in Istanbul, you can check: "www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch…".

Food will not be expensive or it will be as expensive as you want it to get. So there are lots of places where you can eat good food for very reasonable prices. Finally here is a good thread about travelling to Istanbul on a shoe string: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k3233…".

good luck,

enigma...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul and Cappadocia

Hi Jay- It is good to think of ANYTHING in November, with the intolerable heat wave we are having now here in Texas!

One of my trips was at the end of November. First let me say that you should not be concerned about the weather at all. Most of the sites you will want to see are indoors. I happened to get a glorious stretch of daytime highs in the mid to upper 50's and no rain but for one in 8. You can google 'ISTANBUL WEATHER and you will find several sights that will give you historical data on temps, rain, and humidity on your exact days.

You will find affordable food everywhere. Healthy or decadent pending your budget and cravings! Grazing my way down Istiklal street in Taksim is an olympic event.

Enigma has given you great links to review. Let me also encourage you to use the SEARCH BOX at the top of this page for questions as well. Good place to check experiences of first-time visitors like ourselves.

As far as Cappadocia.... while I didn't have the opportunity to go, I would save every penny and make this happen. I have read nothing but fantastic reviews. I would assume there are accommodations within your budget, but the Balloon Ride is supposed to be a "once in a lifetime', so go for it.

I flew from Houston to WDC and caught the non-stop from there to ISTANBUL. The prices were comparable to those that would have had me stop and transfer in Frankfort with a 6-hour layover as on my first trip. In November, however, I was in WDC-Dulles only long enough to grab a hotdog on the run. And Turkish Airlines was a great experience.

Hope this helps a bit on a wonderful experience you have in store for you.

Now i shall see where that Hurrican Debby is heading this morning.

Sharon

Edited: 24 June 2012, 13:10
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul and Cappadocia

One more thing, Jaya .......... Do let us know how many days you will be in Istanbul so we can help customize something more specific to your time and interests.

Sharon

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
473 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul and Cappadocia

Hi, I will be there over Thanksgiving too. I have some really great info I've researched for my 9 day trip. You can send me a pm and I will be glad to send you what I have found so far. I am a budget travel person, as well. :) Will be glad to help!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul and Cappadocia

Thank you enigma2007. I will check the sites you recommended.

I searched and found that if I leave Dallas on Nov 16th evening, connect at Dulles (Turkish Airline) I arrive at IST on Nov 17 around 4:00 PM local time.

That leaves me with 6 days. Please suggest the must-see sites in Istanbul that should not be missed. Would it be better to go to Cappadocia first then Istanbul? Appreciate your experienced input.

Thanks

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul and Cappadocia

Thank you emis100 Nashville.

Since you are traveling around the same time I am sure all the info you have gathered will be of help. I have emailed 2 rental places in Istanbul, recommended on TripAdvisor. My daughter will be joining me from her current location (India). So all my requirements will be for 2 travelers. Have you found anything reliable for your stay in Istanbul and Coppadocia? Will send you a message. Thanks.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Istanbul and Cappadocia

Hi Sharon,

It is so reassuring to hear from seasoned travelers like yourself. My total stay is going to be 5-6 days. I was wondering whether I should go straight to Coppadocia for 2 days (yes, the famous balloon ride, too) and then complete my Istanbul sightseeing. Is it possible to visit the Aegean Coast and/or the Black Sea in a short trip?

If not, then which is a must?

Thanks,

Jaya

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
473 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Istanbul and Cappadocia

I will be arriving there on Nov 16 at 4pm. Ok our trip duration is different so what I just sent you might not apply. I would say that the coastal areas is too much for your 5-6 day trip but see what the others say. I am doing 3 full days in Cappadocia but you might wanna do just two and then the rest in IST?? I would fly directly to Kayseri Airport the same day you arrive into IST, arriving that night. A transfer to Goreme or Urgup is about $10-11 (or sometimes free depending on where you stay). I am staying at Nirvana Cave Hostel for $27/night but their dorm rooms are very spacious and are $11/night. It had really good reviews and looks very nice and is in a very central location. I would book a hot air balloon for that next morning, 11/18 (the cheapest I have found is $165 and that is a promo friends and family rate for this tour guide at www.asianturkey.com) -- not sure about the specific balloon company and am waiting for the guy to tell me so I can check them out. Then you would have 2 days to explore Cappadocia. You could then take a night flight or overnight bus back to IST and spend the rest of your trip there.

Not absolute but a starting point.... :) hope this helps!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Istanbul and Cappadocia

Hi Jaya - I can only speak from experience here. I was cranked when I landed in Istanbul, but by the time I got to the hotel and had dinner I was exhausted and really appreciated getting a good meal and a good night's sleep. I walked to the Galata Bridge that first night, got a tease of what was in store for me the next day and just crashed! I don't think I would have enjoyed making transfers to another city that evening. So, I would spend my first 3 days in Istanbul, 2 in Capadoccia, and then back for your final day prior to flying home. You will not have enough time this trip to do the Coast or Black Sea. You will barely have enough time to fully appreciate Istanbul just by itself.

I am glad you are going Turkish Air. I am among the many that have had a very good flight with them. Great French and Turkish wines, even in economy! Don't forget, use that SEARCH BUTTON at the top and type in 3 or 4-day Itinerary and see what past visitors have done. I can assure you for one to not miss the 1.5 hour Bosphorus cruise. Also, just in case you get a "hankerin'" for a bit of C&W, there is a bar called the RedRiver Cafe. Wait til they hear you are from Dallas! J.R. is a legend there!

Sharon

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
473 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Istanbul and Cappadocia

yeah, maybe so on staying the first night in IST.....I tend to run on an absurd amount of trip adrenaline when I travel, so I am an Energizer Bunny. :) I also sleep very well on planes (after a Lunesta), so I normally feel pretty rested when I land. I always wake up the intercom saying, "welcome to (whatever country)...." :) So if you are very haggard after long flights and don't sleep well on them, I might would do her suggestion!