We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramadan issues?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Ramadan issues?

hello guys,

i am planning to ravel to Istanbul about the third week of this month and by that time i know that the holy month of Ramadhan starts.

during this time will the malls and restaurants be open with regular operations or will it be closed?

thanks!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramadan issues?

Almost everything operates normally during Ramazan. I have been told that some of the nightclubs close for cleaning and renovation during this time, but I have never had a problem finding places to eat. Malls and restaurants, particularly those in the tourist districts are open as usual.

I enjoy visiting Istanbul during Ramazan. I think people are often even more kind than usual. I love the festivities in Sultanahmet next to the Blue Mosque. It is a special time of year in Istanbul.

The only thing I notice that is different is that, when the sun sets and the fast is over there may be long lines outside of restaurants that are popular with the regular population of Istanbul. We enjoy eating at the Sultanahmet Köftecis. During Ramazan the lines for this popular little spot are often several blocks long. We try to eat our evening meal before sunset so we are not caught in large crowds of hungry people.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramadan issues?

Merhaba travelfreak,

During Ramadan, it will be business as usual. Life will be running at its normal pace including malls with one exception though: You should expect that the restaurants and food courts will be horrendously crowded during the Iftar time. Also it wouldn't be polite to shop at that time since most of the sales reps will be breaking the fast.

Enjoy

Borus

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramadan issues?

I also remember this advice. I have always been told that it is particularly rude to eat on the street during the fasting period. Since I never attempt to eat and walk at the same time it is not something about which I often think, but it is probably not polite to gobble a kebob on the tram when many people are fasting. Borus is also correct in suggesting that you refrain from shopping at sunset when people are anxious to break their fast. I find it very pleasant to spend this time at the festival near the Blue Mosque in Sultanahmet.

boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramadan issues?

We are traveling with kids during Ramadan time,as you mentioned it's not polite to eat in front of people ,I don't know what should I do if my kids want a snack and want to eat on the way .is it offensive ? I and my husband can refrained from eating but kids ? I don't know ,any ideas,even drinking water from a bottle.please advice

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramadan issues?

In my experience Turkish people are particularly hospitable to children. They love their own children, and they will love your children. I cannot imagine anyone would be offended if your children are snacking or drinking. Islamic children generally do not begin to fast themselves until they are between seven and nine years of age.

Not everyone in Istanbul will be fasting. I have no idea what percentage of the population in Istanbul, but I recall a study by the Sabanci University a few years ago which stated that 32% of the population is "non-observant" and another 30% are only marginally observant. You will see Turkish people who eat, drink and smoke during the fasting period. I just try to modify my behavior out of courtesy to those who are fasting.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
745 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramadan issues?

i dont know what is the situation in istanbul during ramdan , but in egypt all the pubs close in the Holy month per law , no alchool is serving in any places exept in Hotels , also if you eat or smoke in the street almost everyone will look at you in disgusting way , it is not forbidden but people think you should not do it to respect them " in EGPYT there is 18 million christian and they follow the rules in ramdan and they never smoke or eat in public and they stock the spirits before that month in they home in order to drink when they want in private " also most of restaurant take this month for renovation or annual vacation

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ramadan issues?

egyptmmmx,

Generally speaking, this is not the case in Istanbul. Bars and meyhanes are open and you can find alcohol in the restaurants and supermarkets. Also, it is not a problem to smoke in public. One may have some problems in the conservative neighborhoods but I don't think even the people in the conservative areas would frown upon non-muslim tourists if they eat or drink.

There are some cities in Turkey like Konya, Kayseri and Erzurum where the situation looks very similar to that in Egypt, but not Istanbul.

Borus

Edited: 04 July 2012, 09:20
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ramadan issues?

Here is a link to an excellent article about Ramadan in Istanbul by an Egyptian newspaper:

egyptindependent.com/news/ramadan-turkey-whe…

Enjoy

Borus

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
489 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ramadan issues?

So does this mean tourist attractions like Blue Mosque, Basilcia cistern Suliemanya mosque etc will be open during day time and restuarants are also open during day time?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ramadan issues?

Yes Karan, they'll all be open.

enjoy

Borus