We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day Itinerary Feedback Requested

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
412 reviews
Save Topic
5 day Itinerary Feedback Requested

Heading to Turkey next week. We can't wait! Would love feedback on my plans.

We arrive Friday night. Here is my proposed 5 day itinerary:

Saturday:

Hagia Sophia

Underground Cistern

Blue Mosque

Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum

Sunday:

Topaki Palace

Walk around New Town

Chora Church Museum

City Walls Walk (from Rick Steves)

Monday:

Grand Bazaar

Spice Market

Golden Horn area walk

Tuesday:

Bosphorus Cruise

Wednesday:

Istanbul Archaeology Museums in the morning

Leave for airport at 3pm

Mentioned in this post
Golden Horn
Golden Horn
8 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day Itinerary Feedback Requested

Merhaba Adam,

Your itinerary looks quite rich and very doable. I would like to list several alternatives if you may wish to enrich your time in the city:

1. A visit to the Galata Tower in a late afternoon before it is closed at 7pm, then take a leisurely walk on the Istiklal Street, maybe have a late night dinner at one of the meyhanes in Nevizade. Don't forget to sample mado ice cream and famous beyoglu chocolates while you are in Istiklal.

2. An intercontinental ferry ride from Eminonu to kadikoy on one of your evenings. Walk around the kadikoy fish market and have a super tasty dinner at Ciya restaurant.

3. A visit to Dolmabahce Palace (you can do it in one of your mornings)

4. An evening and night in Ortakoy

Happy planning

Borus

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day Itinerary Feedback Requested

Hi Adam - I believe Borus about covered it all. I just want to make one comment as I see it. That being is that you have given yourself some breathing room allowing for unexpected surprises. He has suggested Ortakoy. My advice here is avoid it on a weekend as the crowds are so overwhelming as it is a favorite place for local family excursions as well as the tourists.

If art is of any interest (Your MFA now is fabulous with it's life-size paintings of Renoir), it is an easy distance if you decide to take his excellent advice and visit Dolmabahce Palace.

And Adam, try a hamam (Turkish Bath) It is such an amazing experience and opportunity to partake in some ancient Turkish culture. Go early morning if possible. Maybe while lines are building at the sites, you will be relaxing, invigorated, and rejuvenated for your day ahead. Or as in my case, so limber and wonderful that I was ready for the best nap ever!!

Have fun. Have a pleasant and safe journey.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 18:31
Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day Itinerary Feedback Requested

Thanks for the feedback.

I added Galata Tower to Sunday when we are walking around New Town.

And Kadikoy for dinner Saturday night.

I was also then thinking dinner and walking around Ortakoy Sunday night.

And maybe Dolmabahce Palace our first night if we have time Wednesday, our last morning in Istanbul.

Can't wait! Let me know if you think of anything else.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day Itinerary Feedback Requested

Book your Hagia Sophia tickets online in advance. This way you avoid the Q.

Likewise for the Topkapi Palace and Harem. Once you enter ,if the Harem Q is not very long visit that first and then the rest of the Palace.

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day Itinerary Feedback Requested

Thanks pontevechhio. I think I'll get the museum pass.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
232 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 day Itinerary Feedback Requested

hi,

in addition to Galata Tower you can also view the city from the tallest building's terrace :

istanbulsapphire.com/index_seyir_english.html

which is open till midnight so sunset from Galata Tower and night view from Sapphire Terrace

Kiz Kulesi - Maiden's tower is the only natural island on the Bhosphorus so why not take it into your plan while on the way to Kadikoy:

http://www.kizkulesi.com.tr/ web site is under construction so give a call before you go.

Another place to view the city would be Camlica Hill on Asian site which is 268m high from the sea:

english.istanbul.gov.tr/Default.aspx…

have a nice stay in Istanbul

Mentioned in this post
Camlica Hill
Camlica Hill
442 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 day Itinerary Feedback Requested

I wonder if Ortakoy will be a stop on the Bosphorus cruise - it was for us.

You could start that day with Domabahce palace, then do the cruise - and have dinner at Ortakoy.

I would also add a couple more mosques to your list. Blue Mosque is famous, but others are equally impressive. We really enjoyed a visit to Rustem Pasha and to Suleymanye (butchering the names, sorry!)

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 day Itinerary Feedback Requested

You will have plenty of time left on Saturday to do things as your planned itinerary will only take about 4-5 hours.

I would add to your itinerary a visit to a hammam, Suleymaniye Mosque (and enjoy eating the speciality dish of beans from the restaurants outside), Eyup and the mosque there, Rustem Pasa mosque and Yeni Mosque (you can see these while you are at the Spice Bazaar), the Pera Museum (if you like museums), Ortakoy (I love weekends there as it is so buzzy) - and lots and lots of aimless wandering, getting lost and exploring!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
160 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 day Itinerary Feedback Requested

Adam, if you are thinking of getting Istanbul Pass which I believe is very good value for money specially if you are doing all those places. Only thing is that the pass is valid for 3 days and you may want to move Archeology Museum after Topkapi Palace as it is next to Topkapi.

10. Re: 5 day Itinerary Feedback Requested

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:17