We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Visa purchased at IST?

Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Visa purchased at IST?

I am getting some confusing information about Turkish Visa. I will be arriving IST from USA and my husband and sons (U.S. citizens also) will be arriving IST from Bangkok. Can we easily get a Visa stamp on arrival? Do we need to have passport photos? Will they accept credit card payment?

Thanks for any advice

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
173 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from US$72.25*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from US$250.75*
US$295.00
Springboro, Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish Visa purchased at IST?

It's easy. Just follow the signs. We paid cash, $20 each. Not sure about credit cards.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish Visa purchased at IST?

credit cards and old bannotes are not accepted. Get in line for visa with new and clean banknotes in your passports.

Best of luck

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish Visa purchased at IST?

As suggested hand over the Passports with a crisp 20 USD bill in each Passport. They will stamp your visa and return the Passports. No questions asked.

Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish Visa purchased at IST?

Thanks to everyone for the good information. One less travel thing to worry about.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish Visa purchased at IST?

We have had the occasional report of someone who was successfully able to use a credit card, and some people have reported that they were able to receive change from bills larger than $20USD.

My goal is to move through the Visa line as quickly as possible. I put a new $20USD bill inside each of our passports as soon as we leave the US. When we arrive, 12 jet-lagged hours later, the passports are ready for the visa line. I can assure you that the customs officials much prefer this efficient method.

You do not need a photo, the visa is actually just a stamp in your passport.

Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish Visa purchased at IST?

Thank you for great information.

Level Contributor
285 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish Visa purchased at IST?

We will take everyone's advice and make sure we have new $20 bills ready. But IF we did need change, would they give it to us in TL?

This might actually be a good way to do some currency exchange...lol

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,928 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish Visa purchased at IST?

Wandering_Around87, There are ATM's at the hallway before you arrive at the visa desk. You can get TL there as much as you want. It has been reported here that there is a special credit card desk also at the visa counters where you can now pay by credit cards. However I would also advise you to have your cash ready, and not count on the credit card option.

enigma...

Level Contributor
285 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkish Visa purchased at IST?

Thanks, Enigma!

10. Re: Turkish Visa purchased at IST?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 19:17