We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: A day in Galata & Eminonu

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo
Level Contributor
132 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: A day in Galata & Eminonu

I spent a very nice day in the Galata and Eminonu district. Here we go:

It was a Friday, I took the bus to Eminonu. I entered the Egyptian Bazaar (Spice Bazaar), I had a look of all nice shops of spices, souvenirs, lokums. I took a nice tour on the surrounding streets of the Egyptian bazaar, the outside shops have cheaper prices than inside. I decided to come back on my last day in Istanbul to buy some lokums and gifts before traveling back to my country. Out of the bazaar, I followed a very good smell of Turkish kahve, it's Mehmet Efendi where you can buy coffee.

It's time for Friday prayer, I entered Yeni Camii for Cumaa prayer. it's a very nice place to visit. The atmosphere outside the Camii is very nice after the prayer.

Then, I started a nice walk in Mahmout Pasa Cad, a long street full of shops of all sorts of goods like scarves, clothing, home needs, shoes. Street vendors are everywhere trying to sell their goods. It was a very interesting walk. This street ends by the Grand Bazaar in Beyazit.

You arrive to the Grand Bazaar with its huge gate. When you enter the bazaar, you will feel lost into different streets and a lot of shops of jeweleries, souvenirs, Turkish porcelaines...Although I was lost inside but I succeeded to buy a nice silver ring with white stone. You have to bargain a lot to get a good price.

Going out of the Grand Bazaar, I returned back to the Yeni Camii area through the same way of MAhmout Pasa Cad.

It is time for lunch, I went to eat the famous and delicious "balik ekmek" or fish sandwich in a restaurant under Galata bridge. I ordered a nice drink called shalgam.

After lunch, I had a walk along the Galata bridge watching the fishermen. The lights of mosques and bridges started to eluminate. Don't forget your camera, you will get nice pics.

I arrived to Tunel and passed by the famous Galata tower and walked until I arrived to the Tunel-Taksim nostalgic tram. I took the tramvay and had a very interesting ride through the crowded Istiklal street full of people from all over the world walking, eating, making shopping. You can also see the dondurma vendors making their nice show, the stuffed mussels sitting aside, the corn and limit vendors with their nice display car...

I arrived to taksim and bought a dondurma...then back to the hotel.

This was a great day in Istanbul. Hope to come back soon, may be in different weather during winter to discover new things.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: A day in Galata & Eminonu

Another nice report Vanylla, I enjoyed your Asia report too. What is the drink shalgam?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: A day in Galata & Eminonu

Another amazing day, thanks for the trip report.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: A day in Galata & Eminonu

Hi Vanylla. Thanks for taking me back to December when all new memories were made. It was fabulous at that time of year. Aside from the weather that is unpredictable, I found the cold on my nose a pleasant change from the sweltering heat. Lots of sales going on at that time as well. I know the weather can also be nasty, but there is always a warm welcome somewhere and a doorway to take shelter, and a raki to warm the soul and mellow the spirit.

You make me want to return.

Sharon

Edited: 16 July 2012, 20:56
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: A day in Galata & Eminonu

Vanylla, another lovely day. Many thanks for the trip report. Shalgam is turnip juice. I also like it a lot.

Cheers

Borus

Cairo
Level Contributor
132 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: A day in Galata & Eminonu

I am glad you all liked the report.

Sharon, you make me want to return too but this time in December :)

6. Re: Trip Report: A day in Galata & Eminonu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 06:16