We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Istanbul/6 nights - can I get to a beach, as well?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Istanbul/6 nights - can I get to a beach, as well?

My 19 yo son and I are taking a first trip to Istanbul in late Aug. Would appreciate input from others that know Istanbul - I know it's not much time and there are amazing sites to see in the city, but I'd love to get to a beach for 1 night - any suggestions? I'd prefer the Aegean, but I've heard the Black Sea could be interesting. I've read that it would be best to fly, can anyone provide an approximation of airfare to Izmir (correct airport??) - Any chance we can do a beach & Ephesus in @1.5 days? Recommendations for a quiet town/hotel (well...not deadly quiet w/ a 19 yo old in tow!)?

Always appreciate the great input I've received with these forums! One last question - any comments on the Levni Hotel?

THANKS, Folks!

NZ
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Istanbul/6 nights - can I get to a beach, as well?

To get down to the Aegean Coast you would need to fly to Izmir (Pegasus, Onur and Turkish airlines all go there - takes about an hour).

Then get a train or a bus onto Selcuk (roughly another hour) which is the closest place to Ephesus. Pamuck beach is then 10 minutes away or you could go into Kusadasi (1/2hour) but that is not quiet by any manner of means although it does have good beaches if you avoid the centre of town.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,042 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Istanbul/6 nights - can I get to a beach, as well?

Hello djkk10

Of course you know already your time is limited but with the flights it would be possible. İt would be probably just as easy to fly down to a beach then taking a bus to the Black Sea. The Black sea is very beautiful, but as you come end of August it could just as well rain. The Black Sea coast gets generally a lot of rain. Considering a less than 1 hours flight you can get to İzmir or to Dalaman.

Seen prices and flight times are short İ would actually recommend going more south for the better beaches. Dalyan is so close to the airport, so your transfer time is short and at the same time there is enough to see, the village is lovely, you can see the rock tombs, Köyçeğiz lake with the turtles and a lovely long and sandy beach.

Otherwise, you can also fly the İzmir airport and take a transfer to Selcuk. Pamucak close to Ephesus is quite a lovely beach but can be very windy. For somebody who likes to be on a beach for just one day my advise would be Dalyan.

Good luck!

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Istanbul/6 nights - can I get to a beach, as well?

Thank you, both for the recommendations. I'll research both Pamucak & Dalyan!

4. Re: Flying to Istanbul/6 nights - can I get to a beach, as well?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 05:17