We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul safety

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Istanbul safety

Can anyone let me know if Istanbul is safe ? ???

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul safety

'Safe' - in what respect?

Perhaps you could expand a little and tell us what it is that concerns you

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul safety

safe for travel I have heard that there has been unrest do to the anti muslim video posting and large anti "west" demonstrations

any info you might have would be welcome

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul safety

There are two other threads on the first page of this forum dealing with the same issue. Have a read of the many responses.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul safety

I dont know where are you from but istanbul is one the safest Metropol on the world. Unless you talk with the guys on the streer and accept invitations of them, you can walk or go wherever you want. :)

New England
Level Contributor
18 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul safety

I am just back from Istanbul, and it was easy to see the result of the anti-muslim video. I never felt "unsafe" in my hotel or with a guide or with a group, but on more than one occasion I was pushed out of the way with obvious hostility. It is more important than ever to dress conservatively and respect the rules of the country, not just in mosques but everywhere you go.

and if someone from Istanbul has additional advice, I would be grateful...

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul safety

i lived in boston for 4 years and i thank you for the post

I am heading to turkey on October 17 any other info would be welcome

New England
Level Contributor
18 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Istanbul safety

Many hotels have been particularly helpful to their guests and have made their stay pleasant and safe. If you don't know anyone in Istanbul, a good staff can truly change your experience.

It is worth reading through the feedback from other travelers who have commented on the help they received from specific hotel managers.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Istanbul safety

Weird we just got back and we didn't catch any flack. We were obviously tourists. Actually we did note that if I walked in front of my wife, everyone got out of my way. She did have to dodge around people if she walked parallel or in front of me. Not sure what the reason, i'm not a menacing looking person.My wife mentioned how she didn't understand why but she noted it and as soon as she did she mentioned it was comical. About the worst that happened to us was some people tried to sell us a carpet.

Would like to hear the context of your incidents.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Istanbul safety

does anyone have advise on where to go. I am solo and just touring ??????

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,156 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Istanbul safety

@windinthewillows, it would be interesting to hear when you have been treated with hostility. Please give us some details.

Normally the worsest treatment is beeing harrassed by any carpet seller or a tout who wants to get you into his shop or restaurant.

And a special dress code hasn´t been an issue till now, beside a visit in a mosque or a very traditional area.

@jammer06, I suppose that it´s still common for a lot of more traditional Turks, that the husband will be treated with a lot of respect, while his wife is used to stay a little in the background. I hope that I don´t step on anybody´s feet with this statement, it´s probably a sensitive theme, but that´s what we have been told by turkish friends.

But I know as well that many turkish husbands don´t wear the pants at house, like in other countries too:-)).

And @Shoejo, it depends on what you are interested in: culture, history, nightlife, good food, shopping, or a mixture of all?

Regardless where you are going and what you are doing, you will be pretty safe, if you avoid dark and deserted areas at night, don´t accept any obscure invitation of a stranger and be street smart like at home.