We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No more private transfers from S Gokcen

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
No more private transfers from S Gokcen

We have booked a private apartment in istanbul and were told that their driver would meet us at S Gokcen & take us directly to the apartment. Now we have an email from them saying we have to make our own way as from last week private transfers are no longer allowed from S Gokcen airport............can anyone confirm this please ??

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,163 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No more private transfers from S Gokcen

GUARDSMAN, I do not think so. Two of the popular transfer companies used by forum members indicate that they accept reservations for transfers from Sabiha Gokcen Airport: "http://www.sabihagokcenairportshuttle.com/", and "http://www.istanbulairportexpress.com/". However, you can also use the HAVATAS airport bus to Taksim and take a taxi from Taksim to your hotel.

enigma...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No more private transfers from S Gokcen

HI Guardsman, The information you received from your apartment makes no sense. I cannot even imagine how anyone could prevent private transfer services from operating. Enigma has checked and determined that the transfer companies with which we are familiar are still taking reservations.

I am a little suspicious that your apartment owner has decided to eliminate airport transportation as one of the benefits of staying at his apartment. Frankly, I would be a bit concerned about everything else you have been told.

If you do not have much luggage and are feeling adventurous you can use the Havatas bus and then take a taxi. When I land in Istanbul I am always exhausted so I would prefer to make a reservation with a reputable transfer company. It is more expensive than the Havatas bus, but it is a great luxury for us. Don't panic when it feels as if you are driving for much too long. S. Gokcen is many, many miles from the center of the city.

Good Luck!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No more private transfers from S Gokcen

I think the answer might lie in this recent thread from the Fehiye forum:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298031-i1222-k5…

So it seems that your info is correct Guardsman, only licensed taxi and transfer firms are allowed to make airport transfers.

Edited: 11 October 2012, 08:45
Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No more private transfers from S Gokcen

They are clamping down on all business avoiding taxes, so that is the simple answer.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No more private transfers from S Gokcen

Thank you to you all. I expect the guy picking us up wasn't licensed but not a problem for us - we'll book with one of the licensed companies.

Can't wait for our trip to Istanbul - it looks an amazing city.

Teshacur

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No more private transfers from S Gokcen

Does this mean all shuttle companies - or is it just the hotels that send their own drivers to pick up visitors? Surely that would affect genuine people picking up family and friends etc?

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: No more private transfers from S Gokcen

As stated on the other thread linked to above, they keep a record - at Dalaman Airport, at least - of all vehicles entering the airport; in fact in Dalaman they take a photo of the car and so it's fairly easy for them to check on regular, unlicensed pickup drivers. Normally they use "people carriers" rather than private cars, so it's pretty easy to spot them.

I certainly know that there's been tension at both Dalaman and Nevsehir airports in the past between taxi drivers and hotel pick-up drivers.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
103 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No more private transfers from S Gokcen

We used transfers to and from S Goken, arranged through our hotel, on 20 September and 26 September. It's a long ride, with a lot of traffic. (Two hours).

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
167 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No more private transfers from S Gokcen

it is not true,

you can book a private transfers from Ataturk Airport of Sabiha Gokcen Airport from these companies;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293974-c122708/Istan…

10. Re: No more private transfers from S Gokcen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 17:17