We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish delight, spices,and nuts when Spice Bazaar is closed

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish delight, spices,and nuts when Spice Bazaar is closed

Hi again,

We are unfortunately going to Istanbul when the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market are closed for the holidays. How disappointing.

Can someone tell me where I can purchase some turkish delight, spices, and nuts like pistachios for reasonable prices?

I have seen posts about Cafe Erol....is that good?

Would Arasta Bazaar have them?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,270 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish delight, spices,and nuts when Spice Bazaar is closed

For excellent Turkish delights try Hafiz Mustafa at Sirkeci (on tram track blvd) or Haci Bekir at Eminonu. For excellent candies and Turkish delights, you can also try Altan Sekerleme at Eminonu, "tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293974-d2…", and "http://www.hafizmustafa.com/".

good luck,

enigma...

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish delight, spices,and nuts when Spice Bazaar is closed

Well, İ think it is so simple that you can get a lot of this stuff at the airport in İstanbul, well packed and İ suggest to buy the dry baklava, no mess in your suitcase and it is delicious! Where else are you traveling within Turkey? As of course İstanbul is not the only place in Turkey where you can get good Turkish delights, spices and the nuts stuff.

Good luck!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish delight, spices,and nuts when Spice Bazaar is closed

Şekerci Cafer Erol

www.sekercicafererol.com/

http://www.sekercicafererol.com/subelerimiz/

deliciousbaby.com/travel/…

todayszaman.com/…

when I visited Istanbul back in 2009 we did visit this candy shop in the Kadikoy district..

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish delight, spices,and nuts when Spice Bazaar is closed

"Well, İ think it is so simple that you can get a lot of this stuff at the airport in İstanbul, "

Which mostly is awful. Buy at any of the Koska stores in Eminönü, Laleli, Beyazit, Istkal str or in Sirkeci (round the corner from Hafiz Mustafa). They have some products which are a mix of pistache and crocane which are heavenly.

General rule is never buy boxed sweets, buy freshly made. Koska shops are open every day.

Edited: 15 October 2012, 07:41
Toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish delight, spices,and nuts when Spice Bazaar is closed

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am definitely going to check them out.

Yes, I prefer to buy locally then at the airport for the freshness reason!

We are also going to Cappadocia and Ephesus so not sure if there is more selection there.

Thanks!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish delight, spices,and nuts when Spice Bazaar is closed

For certain things İstanbul could be better but not necessarily for the things you mention. Are you returning back to İstanbul after your trip? So you can have a good look around before you buy. For instance i am in fehtiye and there are 2 Turkish Delights factories and they are very good and always very fresh. They even do a spicy pepper version. İn Afyon they do wonderful Turkish delights too.

İn case you would take a night bus you could pass through this place you should buy it here! The thing is that İstanbul is also not the place where the things you mention originate from.

Pistachios for instance come from Gaziantepe (the Turkish name is Antep Fistik from the name Gaziantepe).

So many things have their transport anyway. İn Fethiye nowadays we can buy fresh Kadayif (a baklava like pastry with loads of pistachios) that comes by night bus from Gaziantepe.

Definitely the airport baklava is not bad, it is from Güllüoğlu, and as a lot is sold it is fresh, in a box and well wrapped up.

Good luck!

Toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish delight, spices,and nuts when Spice Bazaar is closed

Thanks for your help Villa. I was thinking Istanbul because that is our last stop before our flight home so it we don't have to worry about lugging it through our short flights around turkey.

I think I need to get some pastries! The Kadayif sounds lovely!

EDMONTON
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish delight, spices,and nuts when Spice Bazaar is closed

We were just at hafiz mustafa a few days ago, not thinking that i would actually like turkish deligjt - this place changed my mind! It was good, fresh and a great place to sit to enjoy some coffee and pudding and brulee...we ended up buying some sweets for souvenirs which were nicely packaged in gold boxes. There were a few other sweet and spice shops in that sultanahmet area as well and were opened quite late.

9. Re: Turkish delight, spices,and nuts when Spice Bazaar is closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 09:15