We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Lira & Euros

Burlingame...
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Lira & Euros

Does anyone know why prices on hotel websites & tour companies in Turkey list their prices in euros and not Turkish lira?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish Lira & Euros

Because a huge number of visitors to Turkey are from the Eurozone and it makes it easy for them to compare prices.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish Lira & Euros

Imaging those same websites listed their prices in US Dollars... be helpful, wouldn't it?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish Lira & Euros

Well, it would probably be helpful if they listed their prices in 20 other currencies too, but sensibly, they choose the Euro.

Up until about 10 years ago many Turkish companies favoured the USD, recently though the Euro has become far more popular.

Edited: 20 October 2012, 17:50
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,156 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish Lira & Euros

I have to admit that I would prefer if they list their hotel prices in Lira , because this is the national currency, but they don´t ask me:-)).

Edited: 20 October 2012, 17:51
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish Lira & Euros

Most third-party websites will give you the option of viewing (if not actually paying in) other currencies.

patara, I'd be interested to know why you'd prefer rates to be published in Turkish Lira. How would it benefit you?

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,156 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish Lira & Euros

When I´m in a foreign country I always prefer to pay in the national currency. Always.

Beside this, if the actual exchange rate is good , you will get more Liras for your Euros, but have to pay just a preset fix price in Lira. If the price is listed in Euros, you won´t get any benefit, if the Lira is weak, they probably won´t reduce the price:-).

Sorry, my English is pretty basic to explain what I mean:-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish Lira & Euros

If we're not talking about the hotel's own website or a Turkish-based thirty-party then Lira is essentially irrelevant as you are paying up-front. All that matters is what you're paying in your own currency.

So is it not, almost always, going to be better to get the charge into your own currency as quickly as possible, going through as few conversions, with their inevitable fees and array or rates, as possible.

So, for you, having the websites charge in Euros should be best.

I might be wrong.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,120 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish Lira & Euros

Turkish Lira is dynamically fluctuating against the Euro. If the hotel rates were quoted in TL, then every hour the rate would be fluctuating in Euros and it would be different. Euros is what most people coming from Europe understand the best. Therefore those visitors who are familiar with Euros (including British visitors), would prefer a stable hotel rate that does not fluctuate every hour. Therein lies one of the main reasons for quoting hotel rates in Euros.

enigma...

Edited: 20 October 2012, 20:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkish Lira & Euros

Please tell me about how dynamic the fluctuation is.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,120 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turkish Lira & Euros

It all depends. Check the website "http://www.xe.com/?c=TRY" frequently.

enigma...