We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some suggestions on what to do for my visit

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Some suggestions on what to do for my visit

I am visiting Istanbul as part of my cruise we are staying for 2 days we arrive on Mon January 7th at 1pm and leave on Tuesday 8th at 8pm.

is it easy to get into Istanbul from the port and will I have enough time on my first day 1pm before it gets dark, what would be the best thing to do on this day.

If someone could suggest an itinerary and tips on getting around it would be much appreciated.

Austin TX
Level Contributor
124 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some suggestions on what to do for my visit

Here is what I did in 2 days in Istanbul:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5962…

Hope it helps.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,869 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some suggestions on what to do for my visit

691chevin691, welcome to Istanbul.

Take the tram from the port (Tophane tram stop) to Sultanahmet stop on arrival.to Istanbul. At Sultanahmet, go to Topkapi Palace and spend about 3-4 hours there before it gets dark. Afterwards you can go to Blue Mosque and see it. I would take the tram again back to Kabatas and the funicular to Taksim from Kabatas and spend the evening at Istiklal street/Beyoglu starting from Taksim. Have a look at my post No. 2 at the following thread. "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k4759…". You can take a taxi back to port later in the evening.

The second day, you can visit St.Sophia, Baslica Cistern and Grand Bazaar and Spice Bazaar if you have the time before departure at 8.00 PM. You can always take the tram back to Tophane for joining the cruise ship.

good luck,

enigma...

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some suggestions on what to do for my visit

Thanks for your replies, enigma2007 I followed your link to Istiklal street and that sounds like a great way to spend the night however will everywhere be open on a Sunday night?

If so we will probably get something to eat do you have any suggestions I see you mentioned Haci Abdullah to be one of your favorites would I need to book and is it expensive. You also mentioned Otantik Anadolu Yemekleri and you also say

"If it is evening or night time, you can have a fantastic dinner at a meyhane at Nevizade street, off from fish market alley. My favorite is Boncuk restaurant" Fish sounds nice and its one of my favorites can you give me some idea of price and if booking would be necessary.

On the second day you mention "The second day, you can visit St.Sophia ect" would I be able to get to these easily from the port and is it easy to get from one to the other is it walking distance or would I need to use public transport of some kind.

Edited: 17 December 2012, 20:07
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,869 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some suggestions on what to do for my visit

chevin, You mention in your initial post that you are arriving on Monday, and yet on second post talk about Sunday night. In any case everywhere will be open on Sunday night at Istiklal street just like other nights.

In my second post I already explained how to get from the port to Sultanahmet by tram.

No reservations needed for any of the restaurants mentioned at my Istiklal street post. Nevizede restaurants for fish dinner, mezes and drinks would be nice. Nevizade street is behind the Flower Passage (Cicek Pasaji) on Istiklal street. Boncuk is a good restaurant there.

good luck,

enigma...

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some suggestions on what to do for my visit

Sorry my mistake it is Monday when we arrive, for the trams do you need to buy a ticket or can you pay when you get on board.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,869 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some suggestions on what to do for my visit

chevin, you buy your tokens at the tram stop from the vending machines. However it is best to use an Istanbulkart which you can first buy at the metro station at Ataturk Airport.

enigma...

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some suggestions on what to do for my visit

I wont be at the airport so can I get the Istanbulkart from anywhere else. Also will I need to have some change/coins to use the vending machines or will they also take notes or credit/debit cards. If I need coins will it be easy to get change around the port area.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,869 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some suggestions on what to do for my visit

chevin, Use ATM's at the port area to get Turkish currency. The tram token vending machines accept small bills.

enigma...

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some suggestions on what to do for my visit

Hi enigma

Not many days to go till I set sail and Im getting excited, I have just ben looking on google maps just to get a feel for things.

When you say "go to Blue Mosque and see it. I would take the tram again back to Kabatas and the funicular to Taksim from Kabatas and spend the evening at Istiklal street/Beyoglu starting from Taksim."

Is the tram far from the BLus Mosque? What is the name of the tram stop,

When I get to Kabatas how far is it to the funicular to Taksim and then how far from Taksim to Istikial

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,869 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some suggestions on what to do for my visit

chevin, Sultanahmet tram stop is 5 minutes walk from Blue Mosque on Divanyolu (tram track street).

The funicular (one stop metro) station is right under the tram station at Kabatas. You simply can not miss it.

Istiklal street starts at Taksim square, at one corner of it. You won't miss it.

enigma...