We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istiklal ST. House Hotle Istambul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Istiklal ST. House Hotle Istambul

Dear all,

I have booked standard suit room in ISTIKLAL ST. HOUSE on Booking.com. I select the hotle room on Booking.com grating recomendation which was above all 8.4. I read a review about the hotle which is totally different and says it is rabish. Please advise I am confuse as the booking condition is Non Refundable and I feel my whole trip will be ruined because of the hotle. Is there any solution i can get out of this situation.

Regards

Hassan

istanbul
Level Contributor
166 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istiklal ST. House Hotle Istambul

Hi Hassan;

from the booking, you give the credit card details, to my knowledge, there is no payment upon booking time. When you arrive at the hotel, you pay, Check this with hotel according this, you can make your changes.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Istiklal ST. House Hotle Istambul

Dear,

Thanks for the advise, but unfortunately the hotel deduct all the payment from my credit cards and it shows non refundable.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,987 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istiklal ST. House Hotle Istambul

hassan, Here is a hotel on the same street, much less expensive, and with better reviews: "tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d121423…".

enigma...

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istiklal ST. House Hotle Istambul

Hello Hassan,

İ had a quick look at the B.com website, reading to top of the reviews, the main problem for most people is the lack of an elevator to the breakfast room on the top floor. For the rest people are full of praise. Personally İ would not worry if İ was you, the hotel looks like a palace more than a house!

Working with B.com myself, the only thing İ find weird is that they already deducted the fare from your account, even though they have no refund policy.

Hope you will have a great time!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Istiklal ST. House Hotle Istambul

Read this:

…nytimes.com/2013/…

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Istiklal ST. House Hotle Istambul

Hassan, It is precisely for this reason that I do not use any third party booking agent to secure hotel reservations. If something happens and the hotel does not have your reservation or there is a problem with the room it is so much more difficult to negotiate with a third party booking agent located in another country. The third party agency collected your money, and you have to work with them rather than the hotel.

I have been assured, however, by many people that booking.com is different because they do not require you to pre-pay for your hotel reservation. I think you should check into this and try to discover why booking.com violated their own policy in your case.

I would not, however, change my reservation based only on a single bad review. If the hotel has consistently good reviews you may have simply encountered a tourist with unrealistic expectations or someone who was just having a bad day.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Istiklal ST. House Hotle Istambul

In general booking. com do not charge in advance but sometimes they do offer special cheap rates, which are non refundable.This is common practice at many hotels and booking.com do make it very clear, before you book,if it is a non refundable, pay up- front deal.

Presumably this is the case in this instance, and booking.com will not have violated their policy or been misleading in any way. The OP accepted this risk before booking and has no cause for recompense.

On the plus side, I don't really see any particularly worrying reviews for this hotel!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Istiklal ST. House Hotle Istambul

Thank you for that explanation. I am able to obtain similar discounts directly with some of my favorite hotels in the US. When I attempted to use third party agents I was always required to pay for my room in advance and it was very difficult to obtain a refund if there was any type of problem.

I have no problem paying in advance with a hotel I know well to save 50% of the cost of the room. I am still not sure I would be comfortable with a pre-paid reservation to a third party agency.

When I pre-pay directly with a hotel in the US these rates are almost never advertised. I generally have to request them myself. They are, however, almost always available during slow seasons or days of the week.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Istiklal ST. House Hotle Istambul

I've always booked my Turkish hotels direct because I have found it offers better deals i.e. airport transfers.

By contrast, I often book hotels in other locations through a booking website. I have never had any problem using this method - the rooms I have been allocated have always been as described, etc.

Whether booking direct or through an agent, I always check the T&C's, making sure I am not charged in advance and ensuring the cancellation policy is good.

In the main, I am happy to pay a little extra to ensure I can cancel if need be due to some unforeseeable disaster, but on occasion, I have also taken advantage of extra savings with non-refundable deals, if I am 100% confident that I, or someone else, will be able to use the room.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 23:09
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,822 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Istiklal ST. House Hotle Istambul

Just as an aside: since some time "Booking.com" is jumping into critical threads about them and offer to clear up the problems with the posters privately.

Maybe a chance?

tripadvisor.de/members-forums/Bookingcom_CR