We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.

Hi, im flying from Doha to Bucharest with a 1hr transit in Ataturk airport. Im flying with one ticket but 2 different airlines and as far as im aware they wil transfer my luggage directly to my final destination. My only worry is after i land i have a 1hr gap to get to my next gate, if i am running late do i need to stop at the transit desk to collect my boarding card for next flight or can i proceed directly to the gate and ask for it there? Or will someone bring it there?

179 replies to this topic
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
61. Re: Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.

Hi Ahmet E,

What nationality are you?

Check out the official web site of Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the case for your country: mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.e…

Hope this helps,

Borus

Edited: 14 January 2014, 12:42
Porto Alegre, RS
2 posts
Save Reply
62. Re: Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.

Hi Borus,

Thanks alot for your nice tip. I am Egyptian... My nationality is there on the website.

Actually, after about 6 months, I expect to travel from São Paulo, Brazil to Cairo Egypt.

I consider my trip with the Turkish Airlines was the best, and more am looking forward to visit some historical spot in Istanbul (for example.. the blue mosque), but I am having only 8 hours of my travel waiting for the trip from Istanbul to Cairo Egypt...My trip is expected to arrive at 21.35 at Istanbul...I consider it as opportunity to experience this nice city...However as you can see I am expected to arrive starting the night and it would be difficult to move until 6.30 am, the expected time for the flight to Cairo. hence I am a little confused.

Thanks for attention....

Another, do you expect the ticket prices will get more expenssive to Because of the world cup in June/July?

Thank you alot...

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
792 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.

Ahmed , being an Egyptian nationality you can only aply for a visa in the airport if you are over 45 years or less than 20 years , other wise you need to get the visa from the turkish embassy and it take 3 days to be issued , on exeption for that rule that if you have schingen visa you will be able to get the visa at istanbul airport without any age restriction . about your arrival time , i can not find any suitable place as a sightseen that you be able to go , only restaurants , bars , disco will be open , dont forget that you need at least 30 minutes to go out of the airport and you are using metro to go in the city center you need another 45 minutes , so my advice to you save the money and book a business lounge in the airport , so you can relax during this long transit

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
64. Re: Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.

Great advise from egyptmmmx.

One correction though: the visa on arrival service at the airports will not be discontinued as of April 10, 2014. You can get an e-visa here: www.evisa.gov.tr if you are eligible for one. Having a valid Schengen or OECD (like US, UK, Canada etc) member country visa, you automatically qualify for an e-visa.

As to your question on ticket prices, I'd suggest you to buy them when they are inexpensive today.

Hope this helps,

Borus

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,695 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.

Ahmed, Isuggest that you take the Havatas bus to Taksim and enjoy yourself and shop around for a couple of hours at Istiklal street. Most shops are open till 11.00 PM or midnight. Restaurants are open also. And later you can get a few hours of sleep at Chambers of the Boheme hostel, "tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d119651…". You should take the 4.00 AM Havatas bus back to the airport from Taksim. "http://havatas.com.tr/Otobus.aspx?i=1".

enigma...

Moscow, Russia
1 post
Save Reply
66. Re: Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.

Hi Enigma,

I want to book two flights for next month from Charles de Gaulle airport to Ataturk Airport and from there to sheremetyevo airport. Beetwin two flights i will have 1/30 houres, is it possible that i print my bording pass at home or show my bording pass by my Iphone and dont wait at the transit queue?

Thanks

Arkady

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
67. Re: Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.

Hi Arkady,

One and a half hours is more than enough for catching your onward flight to Sheretemovo. You can get your boarding pass at CDG by using the self service kiosks before you board your flight to Istanbul.

Hope this helps,

Borus

KETTERING UK
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.

Is there a lounge at Istanbul to book if one has a long transit

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,695 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.

Arkady, You have sufficient connection time. Make sure all your luggage is checked thru Sheretmetyevo at CDG. Otherwise you will have to pick them up at Ataturk Airport and in that case 1.5 hours may not be enough connection for you. So make sure of that. Yes, you can use the boarding passes you get at CDG at Ataturk Airport. No problem there.

enigma...

Edited: 20 February 2014, 21:30
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,695 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.

CarineFritz, you can book the PrimeClass lounge. "www.primeclass.com.tr/en/Pages/Default.aspx". However if your layover is real long (more than 6 hours), I suggest that you visit the city.

enigma...

Reply to: Istanbul-Ataturk airport. Transit.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted