We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in Istanbul in Feb.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
weather in Istanbul in Feb.

How is the weather in Istanbul in February??

what kind of clothes will i need??

is the weather is suitable for my 2 years old kid to travel with me or he will not stand it as we live in Egypt and we are not used to the very cold weather..need your advice pls

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in Istanbul in Feb.

Hi ayasammk, It will probably quite cold in Istanbul in February. We spent February in Istanbul three or four years ago. We wore sweaters and our winter coats almost every day. The good thing about winter in Istanbul is that almost everything you do is indoors so you are not exposed long to the elements.

Pack warm clothing and you should be fine. I personally prefer winter in Istanbul more than summer. I manage cold weather easier than hot weather. I am happy to sacrifice warm weather for off-season hotel rates & an absence of thousands of tourists. We did not stand in one line while we were there in February.

Children are fine in cold weather if they are dressed warmly and not kept outside for long periods of time. I see Turkish babies on the streets and in the stores all through out the winter months. They are generally in snow suits and often covered with another blanket. I personally think that they look too warm, but Turkish people really dress their children very warmly.

If you dress appropriately the temperatures in February should be manageable both for you & your child.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in Istanbul in Feb.

My wife & I have been to Turkey (& especially IST) in February the past 2 years. (Both 2011 and 2012) Never had a problem with the prevailing weather or temp.

I can put that in perspective as we live in Minnesota, USA, and Feb is usually damp and cold.

In 2012 we experienced some light snow during our Feb IST visit, but it was gone in a day or so.

Our 2011 visit (IST-Kusadasi, Cappadochia-Ankara) was more temperate.

The one thing that you cannot depend on would be the weather report. Take layers to be prepared for your good time in Istanbul.

3. Re: weather in Istanbul in Feb.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 06:17