We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single senior male

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Single senior male

There are a few posts regarding single women visiting Istanbul but nothing for a single male. I would appreciate hearing of experiences by another single male. I am 75, in good health and still quite self sufficient.

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single senior male

Book at the Emin hotel in Sirkeci. I have stayed alone for months in Istanbul, and always stay there. It is perfectly located, very nice staff and have outdoor seating so you get easily in contact with people. You will have no problems getting around in the city and have excellent eating opportunities in Sirkeci.

There is an excellent web site about Sirkeci written by an american which enigma hopefully will oblige.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single senior male

Welcome to the forum Jim!All the information and advice you have read regarding safety for women... apply to yourself.All the sensible rules and advice on solo travel safety apply equally to women AND men when it comes to taking responsibility for personal safety and that of your belongings.

Of course you are hardly likely to have young men flirt with you the way they would a young girl :) but everything else applies to you.

The major thing solo men must be very careful about is the very nasty bar scam prevelant in the city. A search on here or on Google will give you a great deal of info on this and also how to avoid getting stung.

Ironically it is often quite experienced savvy travellers who get caught by this scam.Perhaps they think they are too well travelled and let down their guard where a new traveller would still be more cautious I don't know,but anecdotal evidence shows how many savvy guys have suffered this.So do be careful of this scam.

Other than this there are no special precautions needed,just those you would normally use in any city you visit,even at home in L.A.

As a senior traveller you will be delighted by the respect that is still shown here to older people and you will find help offered from all quarters,in your hotel,cafes,shops etc.,.

Have a wonderful time in Istanbul!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,270 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single senior male

Jim, welcome to Istanbul.

Istanbul is a very safe city for people of all ages. All I have to say is do not accept the invitation of a total stranger to go to a bar of their own choice. Use your street smarts. If you want to chat with him, take him to a place that you know very well.

Roald has a good suggestion about Sirkeci area which has some great hotels like Neorion, Erboy, Emin and others. Besides it has some great restaurants. Here is the restaurant website written by an American: "www.sirkecirestaurants.com".

Enjoy Istanbul,

enigma...

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single senior male

Thanks guys. I am likely showing my insecurities. My wife and I travelled a lot but she is gone now and this will be my first ever trip alone.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single senior male

Not insecurities...just wisely sharpening your antennae :) Nearer the time of your visit mention it on the forum,there are forum regulars resident in the city and other forum regulars who visit frequently who may be interested in meeting up for a coffee,lunch or dinner with you.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single senior male

Hi, Jim R. I am due to vist Turkey for my third visit, starting with my first visit to Istanbul, at the end of next month. I feel to have learned a great deal from following this very active forum, where Destination Experts and others raise important topics and include carefully thought out advice on problems, as Enigma has above. Advice on dealing with taxi drivers is also worth checking out.

It struck me that for your first solo trip it might be helpful to consider the Kumru hotel, very highly rated in the B&B section of TA. Although it is in a fairly hilly part of town, it has the advantage of being part owned by Melissa, who is from the US. I have had some email conversations in which Melissa has been most helpful with recommendations of places to visit, etc. All that despite the fact that we are not going to be staying at her hotel on this occasion. The TA reviews speak for themselves, and incidentally the only lukewarm review of the Kumru hotel appears to be fake. I have no connection with the Kumru.

I hope you have a great trip. R

Desborough, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single senior male

Hi Jim,while I can understand that perhaps you want to have something familiar i.e.the American lady mentioned above,I think it would be better to immerse yourself and not choose an hotel just for that reason.Other people have mentioned the Erboy and I would agree with that having stayed there twice but I know the choice is difficult!

One thing i am sure of is that you will love Istanbul

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single senior male

Travelling alone it is much better to stay at Emin than at Erboy if you want to get in contact with people as Emin has outdoor seating. As I wrote, i am also most times travelling alone to Istanbul, my wife is still working, so I know what this is about. At Emin you will not feel alone - I know this. There are always people here thinking that their own choice of hotel is the ultimate one - even when it is not.

Dalston, London
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single senior male

Can someone say how prevalent are these attacks on single male tourists, or if there are any particular cafes/bars or areas to avoid. I will be making my first visit to Istanbul in May and I would not wish to spend m whole time chasing people away

Pat

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,270 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single senior male

Pat, there are no attacks on single male tourists. What was mentioned here is a rare bar scam where some stranger you have not ever met before invites you to a bar where you are overcharged quite a bit. As I said, to avoid this do not accept such invitations. This is the kind of thing that happens in all large cities but all you have to say is no.

good luck,

enigma...