We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Food near Taksim Square??

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Good Food near Taksim Square??

Any suggestions on good restaurants / meyhanes near Taksim Square with resonable prices and good quality food -tradinional or not???

Thanks!!!

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Food near Taksim Square??

Down Istiklal Caddesi from Taksim, behind the Cicek Pasaj (which used to be so much fun!) - near Balik Pazar (the fish market). The streets behind there are full of good "meyhaneler". Be prepared for a shock if you buy bottles of wine.

Otherwise, try Asmali Mescit Sokak, at the far end of the old tram route.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Food near Taksim Square??

eviek, there are many good restaurants at Taksim or on and around Istiklal street. For the best value restaurant that would give you ecxcellent meals for the cheapest prices, try Ehlitat restaurant at Balo street at Beyoglu. Have a look at my review. "tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293974-d198…". Also have a close look at my post No. 2 about restaurants and other attractions on Istiklal street starting from Taksim: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k4759…". Also Cezayir restaurant at French street is a great restaurant.

good luck,

enigma...

Izmir, Turkey
Level Contributor
228 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Food near Taksim Square??

The best food ı have been eating is the hacı abdullah restaurant

At dakızagacı street which is located at istiklal caddesi passing the french cultute centre and first mosque after this turn to left.

This restaurant dates from 1888

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Food near Taksim Square??

Konak in İstiklal Street is my favorite, then move on for a dessert in Saray Muhallebesi, you see we all have our own personal fave :-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Food near Taksim Square??

Travelers/visitors new to Istanbul, who look for a particular restaurant, can find the search a real challenge, and occasionally downright impossible. What you can do, like many veteran travelers, is walk or take the tram to Beyoglu/Taksim and stroll down Istiklal Caddesi.

Explore the alleys perpendicular to Istiklal Cd., look at menus posted near restaurant entrances, make sure it's a place where Turks are having dinner, and I bet you'll have a great meal.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 17:35
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Food near Taksim Square??

Thank you all for the nice suggestions!! Can't wait to be there and taste some delicius-hopefully- food!!!!

7. Re: Good Food near Taksim Square??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 05:16