We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighborhood around the Berk Hotel, Istanbul

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
137 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Neighborhood around the Berk Hotel, Istanbul

I will be staying at the Berk Hotel this fall. I'm a woman traveling alone, and I'm wondering about the surrounding neighborhood. I plan to eat out every evening, and I prefer to walk to and from the hotel to do so, but I need to be safe!

I'm wondering how the neighborhood is around the hotel, and also if there are a fair amount of restaurants to choose from. I know there are taxis available, but I much prefer to walk.

Thanks for any replies.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,141 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighborhood around the Berk Hotel, Istanbul

CaliforniaWoman, welcome to Istanbul.

Berk Guesthouse is at Kutlugun street and parallel to that street is Akbiyik street where most of the bars and restaurants are. The area is very safe and is full of places to eat. I suggest Albura/Kathisma for you. Although there are restaurant touts in the area, just saying no would suffice. You can safely walk in this area.

good luck,

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighborhood around the Berk Hotel, Istanbul

This is in an ideal spot,you couldn't have picked better.The famous Four Seasons is almost across the street from the Berk Hotel,next to it is Akbıyık Street which is lined with hotels,restaurants and cafe's you can use in the evening if you don't want to go further.Blue Mosque and Arasta Bazaar are 2 minutes walk,Sultanahmet tram stop 6/7 minutes away.This is a very safe and comfortable place for you as a solo woman.

BTW,one of the restaurants along there is Albura Kathisma,very nice place and good food but more importantly ask the waiter to show you their basement :) You will have a very wonderful and unexpected surprise,have your camera ready!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
137 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighborhood around the Berk Hotel, Istanbul

Thank you both for your reassuring replies. I'm so looking forward to seeing beautiful Turkey!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neighborhood around the Berk Hotel, Istanbul

Ermm, I don't usually disagree with Sari, but in this case I'll add a note of caution!

By all means visit Albura restaurant, but if you're youngish, pretty -ish and travelling alone, be a little cautious if you ask to visit the basement, The young waiters will fall over themselves to show it to you but will do their very best to persuade you to visit the clubs afterwards with them!

5. Re: Neighborhood around the Berk Hotel, Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 05:16