We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a ferry from Istanbul to Izmir?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missoula, Montana
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is there a ferry from Istanbul to Izmir?

Need to get from Istanbul to Izmir. Heard all trains are down until 2014 - other options? Ferry?

Thanks, the wanderer

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a ferry from Istanbul to Izmir?

lost, welcome to Turkey.

It is not true that all trains are down. You can take a fast ferry from Istanbul to Bandirma and take the train from Bandirma to Izmir.cYou can take the 7.00 AM fast ferry from Yenikapi to Bandirma, "http://www.ido.com.tr/en", and the train "6 Eylul Espresi" from Bandirma to Izmir at 13.30 PM. Instead you can go to Bandirma Otogar (Main Bus Terminal) and take the first bus to Izmir (faster).

You can also take a bus from Istanbul Otogar directly to Izmir. Kamil Koc, Pamukkale, Metro turizm and many other companies serve Izmir from Istanbul.

Finally you can simply fly to Izmir. Each day there are numerous flights to Izmir either from Ataturk or sabiha Gokcen airport. Consult. "www.aerobilet.com".

good luck,

enigma...

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a ferry from Istanbul to Izmir?

Trains leaving from the Asian side of Istanbul are not working until the new system (using the tunnel under the Bosphorus) comes into operation in 2014.

However, on the European side, the ferry from Yenikapi connects with the train to Izmir from Bandirma which is slow but comfortable. Old-style Pullman seats - only 3-abreast in the carriage, good air/con - no restaurant car but a refreshment trolley. The route is charming because it traverses hills and valleys far from the modern main roads. It's a single track line built around 1870 and passes through some fine forests too.

Sadly, the wonderful old ferry where you could get an overnight cabin, has long since gone. I possibly last used the Mavi Marmara, of recent infamy.

You probably want to fly: I recommend Atlas Jet - very highly.

Missoula, Montana
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a ferry from Istanbul to Izmir?

Thanks for taking the time to respond! Looks like flying may be our best option. W

Missoula, Montana
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a ferry from Istanbul to Izmir?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. We may consider flying. Cheers, W

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a ferry from Istanbul to Izmir?

I'd also choose to fly. Easy, frequent, short and cheap. What else one would want?

Borus

Missoula, Montana
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a ferry from Istanbul to Izmir?

Thanks Borus, That seems to be the theme in these responses. Cheers, W

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a ferry from Istanbul to Izmir?

Hey lost....flying is really the best way to go....fast and cheap!

Tehran, Iran
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a ferry from Istanbul to Izmir?

Hi guys

I want to travel to Istanbul on July. but my final destination is Izmir and I want to have my trip on the 1st day of August. would you please guide me how can I provide my ticket and how many ways are there for traveling from Istanbul to Izmir?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a ferry from Istanbul to Izmir?

kiana, You can fly (the best), take the bus or take the fast ferry to Bandirma from Yenikapi and the train from Bandirma to Izmir. I prefer flying. For flight schedules and fares, have a look at "www.aerobilet.com".

enigma...

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a ferry from Istanbul to Izmir?

Hello Enigma2007, I notice you are very active on forums, Please lety me have your help, I am trying to make a reservation on 16 of August train Bandirm to Izmir and seems no train working between 16 of August and 20 of August.....Do yo have any idea concerning ? Thanks