We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How reliable is a GPS in Istanbul

London
6 posts
Save Topic
How reliable is a GPS in Istanbul

We are planning to hire a car in Istanbul with a GPS. My question please, is how reliable is the sat nav system? .. From the hotel for example to MINIATURK .. Do you type the full address or do they have postcode like in London? ..

How accurate is it please? ...

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How reliable is a GPS in Istanbul

It depends which Sat Nav system is installed. TomTom works fine throughout Western Turkey but I'm not sure about others.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How reliable is a GPS in Istanbul

London, GPS system is pretty accurate but I strongly advise you not to rent a car in Istanbul. The traffic is horrendous, the parking spots are few and very difficult to find, and the streets are narrow because it is a very historic city. The public transport is excellent and you can also walk to a lot of places. So spare yourself the agony of driving in the city. Outside the city, it is fine.

If you want, you can hire a tour guide with a car for a day.

good luck,

enigma...

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How reliable is a GPS in Istanbul

Don't even consider driving in Istanbul - especially to visit the main sights. The traffic is unbelievably awful and it makes London look like a quiet country road! The public transport is far quicker, efficient and is cheap.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,418 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How reliable is a GPS in Istanbul

If you're planning to travel to other parts of Turkey during your stay, it's better to hire the car just before driving out. While in Istanbul, if you're a walker, it's fun city to walk - if you're okay with the hills. From Sultanahmet, you can walk down the hill to Eminonu, take Galata Bridge to cross over the Golden Horn, then walk up the hill to Galata Tower, and continue a litte further onto Istiklal Caddesi. And have a great trip!

Edited: 27 March 2013, 22:28
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How reliable is a GPS in Istanbul

The UK is the only country where a postcode is helpful in finding a location, because the postcode areas in UK are very small. Most other countries, there is one postcode for the whole of a town or suburb. In some parts of Australia, one postcode covers hundreds of square miles.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How reliable is a GPS in Istanbul

Well we drive in istanbul, and if you are from London İ do not think there is a big difference. And especially with a good GPS it is by far much less of a nightmare as you do not need to search and keep going with the flow at the same time.

We use TomTom in İstanbul for places we do not know so well and with the latest update it is very accurate. Sometimes you need to know the district, TomTom does not always find every street in İstanbul as a city İ mean. Sometimes it recognizes the house numbers, but also very often it asks to put in a junction street name. Obviously you do not also know that (we don't) , so especially on long streets it is still a bit of a search.

İf you plan to stay in Sultanahmet you have to be aware you can not enter into this district by car all the way, so you might have a problem. You have to park near the walls. İ think long term parking will turn out pretty expensive.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How reliable is a GPS in Istanbul

I've used my Garmin Sat Nav in Istanbul and also in Athens. In both places the problem is how to enter the destination, because of the different letters used. Post Codes work so well in the UK, but sadly are no use here. You need to select a landmark or museum etc.

I more often use the Garmin as a hand-held device. But getting the latest maps installed is a problem.

8. Re: How reliable is a GPS in Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:16