We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM card in turkey

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
571 posts
745 reviews
Save Topic
SIM card in turkey

Hello, will be in Istanbul for a couple of days in May. Which phone company there sells SIM cards to be put in a smart phone. Will need a cost effective data plan since I plan to use it for GPS.

Thanks

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIM card in turkey

It's not quite that simple. If you're importing a phone to use a Turkish SIM you need to register it in Turkey. This currently costs 100 TL ( I think ) and it can sometimes take up to 24 hours for the phone to become "live".

If you desperately need to keep in touch you'd probably be better off buying a cheap, basic secondhand mobile and a SIM from one of the many mobile phone shops when you arrive.

If you're travelling down the west coast of Turkey and need GPS, bring a TomTom that's loaded with a map of Europe. Although, to be honest, you don't really need GPS. A simple map will be sufficient,

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
571 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIM card in turkey

Thanks for the reply!

I have heard that one can use an unregistered phone for about a week before it locks out, is this true? I am only going to be in Istanbul for 2 days, so I think I should be okay with that.

Also, I was planning to use my smartphone for GPS guided tours and whatnot and not really to call back home.

Thanks!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SIM card in turkey

I've known non-registered phones to be blocked within hours of arriving in Turkey. It's up to you.

birmingham
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SIM card in turkey

i got ten days out of mine a couple of years ago brfore it got blocked, now i use an international sim card ( geo sim) works out about 38p per minuite

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
571 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SIM card in turkey

UK builder what mobile company did you use, Turkcell?

Edited: 28 March 2013, 21:02
New Castle, Delaware
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SIM card in turkey

Does your phone support offline GPS? I used MapsWithMe on my trip, though I didn't really do any navigation with it.

birmingham
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SIM card in turkey

rahulMD

yes used turkcell but never got it registered and it worked straight away for ten days before it got blocked

New York
Level Contributor
39 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SIM card in turkey

According to the website of the Turkish Counsel in UK:

turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/…

no fee is charged for registering. They say that it should be registered with the company from which SIM card is bought. Kaya do you have new information different from what is on the webiste?

New York
Level Contributor
39 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SIM card in turkey

Kaya:

This is different from what the website of UK Counsel says:

turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
571 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SIM card in turkey

Wonderful thank you! I surely will bring this with me when I go to Turkey in case they charge me to register.