We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykanos

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Mykanos

How can I get to Mykanos or Santarini from Istanbul Thanks

Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
173 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from US$72.25*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from US$250.75*
US$295.00
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykanos

Hi Nancy - I did this trip and it was a breeze with good planning.

Times may be contingent on travel dates/season so you will have to check with carriers.

I caught an early morning flight from Istanbul to Athens. I had a minimum wait time for a flight from there direct to Santorini which was less than an hour flying time and landed in Santorini in early afternoon. If you are thinking of several islands, there is a ferry from Santorini to Naxos (beautiful pastoral island), from where you can also catch a short ferry to Mykinos. Aegean Air had great rates and good connections.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,914 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykanos

Nancy, Sharon has a good suggestion. Fly to Athens and then either take a connecting flight or a ferry to Santorini.

enigma...

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Houston, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykanos

Sharon, just wondering I am looking at some flight from Istanbul to Athens on to Santorini and it only allows 55 minutes of transfer time in Athens, is that sufficient? I think you had the same amount of time correct? I am just worried we might missed the flight since the transfer in Athens is only 55 minutes

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykanos

Hi MS - I don't remember exactly the 'waiting time' between the flights and am quite certain it was more than an hour, probably a couple which was needed to do all the customs/immigration stuff needed from one country to another. The flight to Santorini from Athens airport was just about an hour and was my choice because the only ferry connection to the island involved an hour transfer via bus to Port of Piraeus (lugging luggage) and then a 4-hour ferry transport. Different times of year may offer types of ferries: high-speed, hydrofoil, etc.

My itinerary worked out well also because it was the only one that got me into Santorini early afternoon, just in time to check into hotel and witness the most beautiful sunset you will ever see from the Oia or Firostefani at Caldera Square or any number of very cool cafes along the cliffs.

Again, pending on when you are going, plane and ferry schedules might change. My itinerary from Houston was; Houston/Istanbul/Athens/Santorini by air. Santorini to Naxos - ferry, Naxos to Athens (short flight under an hour) Athens/Houston. Normally I would make flight arrangements on-line direct with airlines, but this time because of two different carriers and possible flight delays or cancellations and my inability to speak either Turkish or Greek, I had my travel agent take care of it. I knew if I experienced some snapfu, they would take care of it. It only cost me $50.00 to have everything booked with actual tickets and boarding passes in hand when I left Bush Intercontinental.

Hope this helps.

Sharon

Edited: 05 April 2013, 05:21
Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
5. Re: Mykanos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 06:15