We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street bazaar

Cairo
Level Contributor
132 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Street bazaar

Hi forum,

Is there a street bazaar held on thursdays and Fridays near the spice bazaar?

Thanks

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street bazaar

There are no special days for bazaars near the Spice Bazaar. Every day is a street bazaar near the Spice Bazaar. Fresh foods are sold just outside and to the right of the bazaar. Cooking utensils are sold down the long road that runs perpendicular to the Spice Market. Pretty much everything you would find in a street bazaar is available near the Spice Bazaar so there would be no reason to have one so close to the Spice Bazaar.

If you want to visit a neighborhood bazaar I would try the Kadikoy Market on Tuesdays or the Fatih Market on Wednesdays. There is also a smaller version of the Kadikoy Market on Friday. There is a tiny market in Ortakoy on Sunday, but most of the offered products are home-made handicrafts.

Cairo
Level Contributor
132 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street bazaar

Thanks busy-retired, I have seen before the outside area of the spice bazaar and the Sunday market of Ortakoy. May be I will go to Fatih bazaar on Wednesday. Does it worth the visit? What kind of goods you find? Is it a touristic place?

Thanks

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street bazaar

There are not many tourists in the Fatih Market. The function of the weekly market is to provide for the many needs of the community in one place so people, women more than men, can avoid going out of their area to buy what they need.

So the market is a collection of that type of merchandise. You will see dish pans, mops, brushes, curtains, fabric, bedspreads, bras, socks, underwear, kitchen equipment, handbags, decorations for the home, clothing, shoes, utility rugs, and all types of lovely fresh-from-the-garden/orchard produce. There is not an abundance of merchandise focused on tourists. I like to go because it is such an authentic Turkish experience, and the people I see are Turkish people rather than tourists.

This will not make sense to you, but for US readers, the weekly market is what would happen if Walmart was emptied and each category was placed in its own market stall.

I do not make many purchases at the weekly markets. I generally try to find pine nuts, and I might buy a few snacks for our hotel room, but for me it is a cultural event rather than a shopping experience.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Street bazaar

Down here in Selcuk (Ephesus) the Saturday market fills the centre of town. Busy-retired has listed the kind of things for sale, and very little is tat aimed at tourists.

I prefer the Wednesday market, in Radovis Caddesi, on the north-east corner of Selcuk, where the road to Şirince starts. This market is just for fruit, vegetables, plants, eggs, cheese, and fish. The joy is in seeing how the produce offered changes from one season to the next.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street bazaar

I have discussed the fruits and vegetables many times on this forum. Sometimes when my Turkish recipes do not taste as good as they did in Turkey I blame it on my raw ingredients. We just do not have the access to fresh produce that is available in Turkey. I have walked through the food sections of markets many times, but the size of the cabbage and strawberries, the fresh crisp lettuce, the tiny carrots and cucumbers, are still a source of amazement to me. Everything is still so fresh from the field that it just makes me want to buy everything. While I know that some things must be imported, I also know that many of the things I buy in Istanbul were growing somewhere close only a few hours before they were sold to me.

In the US, produce is not about flavor, but about appearance. Thus a tomato is developed that will endure a 2000 mile trip across the US and hold a perfect shape and color for weeks. No one cares that it does not taste like a tomato. I live in the center of massive orange groves, but the oranges in my local super market are imported from Brazil. Some restaurants and even some home cooks are attempting to establish a more intimate relationship between farm-food-and dinner table. Turkey never lost that. Sometimes "progress" does not mean an improvement in the end product, but only in the shipment and marketing of that product. I just bought a large assortment of vegetables for dinner tonight, and compared with what I could have purchased in Turkey, I have a tired basket of wilted, sad and defeated produce from which I must try and coax some type of flavor.

We do have farmer's markets that are attempting to restore some relationship between the ultimate consumer and the farmer, but many times the things offered at these markets are also purchased from a wholesale produce company and then sold. I would love to have a weekly market where I could purchase all of my produce in one location and know that it was fresh and flavorful.

Cairo
Level Contributor
132 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street bazaar

Thanks Busy-Retired for your answer. I think it will be a nice experience to explore the Turkish market and to see the daily life there. It is nice to explore such places especially for the fresh from garden goods.

Robert L, thanks for your post about markets in selcuk. Will plan to go there one day.

Desborough, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street bazaar

Are there any markets on a Thursday or Friday please?Local ones.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street bazaar

The big market in Kadikoy is on Tuesday, but there is a smaller market in Kadikoy on Fridays. This market focuses more on produce but there are some other vendors as well. Enigma can give you more specifics as I am sure he shops there occasionally.

Desborough, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street bazaar

Thank you for that helpful bit of info.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts