We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone comment on these restaurants?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone comment on these restaurants?

The following have been recommended to us by a local guide but I don't want an expensive, touristy place, so I'm wary. Comments, please. We are staying in Sultanhemet, so that would be preferable

Amedros Café and Restaurant, Asitane Restaurant, Karakoi Restaurant, Maya Restaurant (Kemankes Caddesi), Meze by Lemon Tree.

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone comment on these restaurants?

Asitane is a beautiful restaurant with a really interesting menu, delicious food, and excellent service. If you visit Chora Church (for the mosaics) then try and have lunch here in there lovely garden (weather permitting of course!)

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone comment on these restaurants?

Amedros is a popular restaurant in the heart of Sultanahmet. Service is generally good. Food quality is inconsistent, with about 2 good meals to 1 poor meal. Restaurant is expensive for what they offer. I no longer eat at this restaurant because of inconsistent food and outrageous prices.

Asitane is an old Istanbul favorite best known for serving authentic Ottoman cuisine. Also fairly expensive, but quality of food and service are generally worth the cost. This is a place I think everyone should visit at least once.

Maya is a fairly new restaurant located in Karakoy. It is enjoying much attention, and a reservation would be a good idea if you plan to dine here. Food is generally good. I had sea bass which was excellent. Ambience is not Turkish, but the restaurant is attractive.

Karakoi Restaurant is located in Topkapi Palace, and we have eaten here only when touring the palace. We were with a Turkish friend who negotiated a special menu and a special price for us. The views and setting for this restaurant are world-class. The food is not consistent. We did not have a poor meal, but our dining companions have, and many people report that the food is not good. This restaurant is extremely expensive for what if offers, with the exception of the location. I rarely recommend it because the prices are very high and you are not guaranteed a great meal.

Meze by Lemon Tree is located in Beyoglu. It is right across the street from the Pera Palace Hotel. I have only been there once, and only for mezes, which were outstanding. They offer Turkish food with a unique flare. It is a very small restaurant, and becomes very crowded quickly. I would recommend reservations. I would classify this restaurant as expensive, but you probably get a first class meal. Although this little place is very popular, particularly with the local population, I prefer Cafe Mese in Sirkeci. There are fewer menu selections, but the chef is skilled. The food is outstanding and the prices are more than reasonable.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone comment on these restaurants?

I don't know if your Meze is the same, but reviews of CAFE MESE in Sirecki has been getting outstanding reviews, not only for their impeccable service which covers breakfasts through late nite snacks, the glorious food, but really excellent prices and currently ranked #7 in the city and even higher by two very good friends.

Check out also Pasazade in the Erboy Hotel. A good introduction to Ottoman cuisine, delicious, & very affordable. Sharon

Edited: 11 April 2013, 18:05
Chicago
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone comment on these restaurants?

If you go to Asitane, remember that you can order a light meal. Asitane has good Turkish wine, which a couple of us enjoyed during a visit and we had a couple of appetizers. Absolutely delicious!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone comment on these restaurants?

Thank you for that very comprehensive answer. Since you are clearly knowledgeable can you recommend some restaurants in Sultanahmet?

We especially like outdoor dining. We will be there next week, so I think it will be warm enough to eat outdoors at night.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,940 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone comment on these restaurants?

Jane, welcome to Istanbul.

Sirkeci area, right next to Sultanahmet, is known for some good restaurants. Have a close look at the foolowing link: "www.sirkecirestaurants.com".

enigma...

7. Re: Can anyone comment on these restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 06:16