We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hammams / Turkish Baths

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
86 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Hammams / Turkish Baths

Anyone who's been to Istanbul a bunch of times want to recommend some good hammams to visit? Thanks!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hammams / Turkish Baths

Hi Laura: please go to post by johnmango about Hammams which is on page 1 of the Istanbul Forum. There you will find all kinds of opinions about where to go. I have also written an inside page about my favorite Hammam, Cagaloglu located across the street from the Grand Bazaar. Happy Travel, Lemonlady

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,108 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hammams / Turkish Baths

My husband originates from Istanbul, he says the Cagaloglu is the most famous one, nr two is Galatasaray Hamam, near Istiklal street.

Read the book 'portrait of a turkish family' by Irfan Orga, it has a very nice description about going to the hamam in the Ottomans time. In the past the evil spirits were sent of in the drain with the words 'destur bismillah'

3. Re: Hammams / Turkish Baths

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 09:19