We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All roads lead to Ephesus

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
All roads lead to Ephesus

Monday we awoke bright & early for out 7am flight to Ephesus. Cab driver must have drive about 80 but got us there by 6.35am. Queued through two lines where bored security people barely glanced at our bags. Flight on Atlasjet was wonderful all around- it reminds me of what US airlines were like 20 years ago. Hot cheese sandwich and beverage for a one hr flight and FAs who spoke good English and were friendly. Caught the free shuttle to Selcuk but no one told us when to get off for our stop. So after finally ting our hotel, we freshened up and trekked the hike to Ephesus. Unfortunately we accidentally came out on the lower gate so had to do tour backwards. Audio guide was hard to follow and numbers were hard to find in some areas. Luckily we came mid day when the tours were at lunch though they came again in the late afternoon. Perhaps I've seen too many ruins but while the theatre and the library were awesome- I ended up on information overload. Plus my camera finally gave up the ghost and died halfway through. I will say the crowds right now are non-existent here and everyone in Selcuk is more approachable than Istanbul. It's nice to get outside.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All roads lead to Ephesus

Thanks for the report updates Heather - I have been enjoying following your travels. Shame about the camera!

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All roads lead to Ephesus

Unfortunately the Atlas Jet bus is only allowed to stop at one point in the middle of Selcuk, so it couldn't have dropped you any nearer your hotel. St John's Hotel is out toward the northern side of town, which is a bit of a trek.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All roads lead to Ephesus

Robert do you know where exactly the Atlasjet bus picks up in Selcuk? Is it right in front of the Municipality Palace?

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All roads lead to Ephesus

Yes. 2 hours and 15 minutes before flight departure. Be at the BELEDIYE building ten minutes before that. It's right across the main road from St John's Café - try their latte macchiato!

Café Celsus in town, between Garanti Bank and Tat Restaurant, also does a very good coffee. Café Karpuza near the railway station is set in a pleasant park area, but they haven't been serving such good coffee recently.

What time is your flight?

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All roads lead to Ephesus

The first time when I was waiting for the AtlasJet shuttle pick-up in Selcuk, it didn't arrive. I was worried that I'd miss my flight and decided to take a cab to the airport. The cab fare wasn't very much and it made a big difference knowing that I was there (on time) and could catch my flight back to Istanbul.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All roads lead to Ephesus

Happy to report the Atlasjet was in front of the palace right on time. Of course the crazy Americans were there 45 mins before hand. Wonderful service on Atlasjet & I'd highly recommend their professionalism. Am back at the Erboy but loved, loved Selcuk. What a friendly small town pace with beautiful weather. Our hotel couldn't have been more helpful and although the location may have given some pause, I had the best, quietest sleep since I came. My mom left her purchases from Sirence on the minibus to Selcuk. Amazingly, 2 hours later the bus driver had the bag and wouldn't accept any money for keeping it. I felt the little towns have more of the Turkish feel than Istanbul. Only wish I could spend more time on the coast.

Robert- meant to ask there seemed to be announcements over the mosque PA every day. Do you know what they are for?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All roads lead to Ephesus

Heatherfeather, I love both Selcuk and Sirince also. It was most likely the announcement by the mosque of someone who died at the town and about his/her funeral services. In villages and small towns, mosques do make such announcements in addition to important neighborhood meetings, events, advance notices for electricity or water outages, etc.

enigma...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All roads lead to Ephesus

Heather, I understand information over-load. Last year we squeezed Rome into a week, and now it is just mostly a blur. I do, however, remember the Sistine Chapel. It is always hard to know if one should suggest a trip out of Istanbul to Cappadocia rather than Ephesus.

I did enjoy Ephesus, but I probably personally enjoyed Mary's Place more because it was just so quiet and refreshing. I did love the little Greek-style village on the hill as well. Turkey in general has such an abundance of old things that it is easy to overdo.

I'm glad that you had a good experience with Atlas. Domestic carriers in Turkey totally spoil me for what we have in the US. I do love Selcuk. If you can visit this area without the cruise ships you can really experience a bit of real Turkey.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All roads lead to Ephesus

Well, well, so I met your mom? I was having a coffee at St John's Café when the crisis arose. It was so nice of her to come back and tell us all was well.

The loud-speakers at street corners tell of funerals (which of course are held very quickly) but also announcements from the town council. It being a big children's holiday today (23 Nisan) there were a number of events in town. If you were near the station around mid-day you'd have seen the strange sight of small trees being handed out to anyone who wanted one (or four). The old men I asked had never seen this done before, so maybe it's the start of a new tradition. Hordes of people went off clutching their saplings for planting in their own gardens, so it was a great success. the poor man who comes to sell trees at the Wednesday market tomorrow won't be so pleased, though.

Surprisingly, many didn't know what species they'd been given, since most had no leaves showing. They were apparently pear or cherry, possibly almond.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All roads lead to Ephesus

re the Atlas Jet shuttle. If there are serious delays on incoming flights (eg in the winter when there are blizzards in Istanbul), the corresponding service buses will also get delayed doing their circuit. Unfortunately, most tourists won't know if this is happening.

It's important to be there at the Town Council stop in Selcuk five minutes early, because the bus comes through from Kuşadası and if he sees nobody waiting he might drift by without stopping.

I'm a great fan of Atlas Jet. On one flight to Istanbul we touched down without my noticing: an incredible achievement by the pilot.