We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carrying a knife in Istanbul

Redwood City...
5 posts
Save Topic
Carrying a knife in Istanbul

I am wondering if I can carry a pocket knife with me. Not necessarily for self defense; I just always carry one in the States because a knife is a very useful tool and it comes in handy for small tasks on a daily bases. I am going to be in Istanbul for 2months so here is my question: Are there any laws or restrictions to carrying knives in Istanbul or Turkey in general? If so, do they differ at all for camping/hiking purposes (though I'm more interested in knowing the urban/city regulations)? Do folding pocket knives have different regulations than fixed blade knives? Open carry versus concealed carry? In a backpack? Thanks :)

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Carrying a knife in Istanbul

Hi,

Yes you can w/o problem unless you visit shopping malls with security check. Infact, you can even buy an axe or sword inside :)

Alper

http://locallypera.blogspot.com

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carrying a knife in Istanbul

A pocket knife - " Not necessarily for self defense" - goodness me, what kind of community do you live in?!

Redwood City...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Carrying a knife in Istanbul

So it is not illegal for me to have a pocket knife inside my pocket?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carrying a knife in Istanbul

In most places you will be fine. At the airports, you may want to put that in checked luggage.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Carrying a knife in Istanbul

You can carry a pocket knife in İstanbul or anywhere in Turkey. Carrying pocket knife is lawful UNLESS YOU USE IT FOR DEFENCE OR ATTACK! If you use your pocket knife for attack or defence (yes defence!) you will be held by cops. This is certain information, :)

P.S.: You can't enter with pocket knife to airport, stadiums (indoor or outdoor) and some high security required places.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 08:53
Redwood City...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carrying a knife in Istanbul

^^^ Thanks! And what about non-pocket knives? Because I plan on going hiking/camping as well. (Bigger camping knives, like a KA-BAR?)

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carrying a knife in Istanbul

I think you need to check what your airline allows you to carry, before you even consider what you can carry in Turkey,

Redwood City...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Carrying a knife in Istanbul

^^^ Already have. So, do you know about the Turkish laws?

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Carrying a knife in Istanbul

By the law if you carry a knife more than 120mm (actually its saying which can cause death) long you can held by police and investigate but its not crime. If you use any knife no matter how long (even a toy knife,nail cutter knife,pocket knife or any small size knife) its unlawful. You cannot use any sort of knife for defence yourself or attack regardless how long it is. Thats the law. You will have to defence yourself in court if you use it for defence or attack.As I told you this is certain information.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carrying a knife in Istanbul

If you have a small,light pocket knife,say 5 cm blade of the kind carried traditionally by many gentlemen perhaps for cleaning their pipe with etc.then you would probably be okay.But as pointed out by WiseWay,this'could'be considered a dangerous weapon.You would certainly have it removed at any security gate and if you were stopped by the police at anytime they would not look at it is a very good light.

Anything larger than that and you could find yourself in serious trouble.Istanbul is a modern city,an urban area;it isn't bear country :) How could you reasonably justify carrying a larger knife in a city?If you were camping wild up in the Kaçkars or somewhere like that then perhaps even the police would understand the need,but not in a city.

If you bring a pocket knife bring it in your luggage not your pocket and leave it in your hotel room when you go out,better not to carry it with you.It may seem an innocuous thing to you and your needs may be innocent but ultimately it can be an offensive weapon.No point inviting potential problems.