We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back home & final thoughts on Istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Back home & final thoughts on Istanbul

Am back home after a long day of flying- having been up almost 24 hrs. Sad to leave Istanbul but have some final thoughts.

1)I was initially wary of Turkish Airlines but both the trip there and especially the trip back was fine. Economy is never fun but the seats weren't cramped, they handed out Turkish delight and cool tin amenity bags and from IST to IAD, I ate the best airline food I've ever had in coach- delicious salmon! Plus they didn't lose our luggage. A decent carrier whom I'd fly again.

2)Hotel Erboy was a fantastic suggestion from this board. The staff were helpful, the rooms-while not renovated-were quiet and comfy, no hot water shortages and we ate like kings with the promotional 5 night/free dinner. The best part was the location. From the hotel we could walk to almost all the major sites. Really was pleased with this budget hotel- which was budget in name only.

3) Istanbul herself-while in the beginning I struggled to enjoy the city, due to traffic, crowds and pollution- I came to enjoy the small things about the city. The small mosques decorated with tiles and their haunting call to pray, the kindness of so many Turkish residents toward foreigners and even the food and drink. The city reminds me of a more exotic San Francisco physically with the sea, hills and ferries. My folks and I still had a ton of things we wanted to do and would have loved to stay more. Tonight it feels a bit odd not to hear the call to prayer and seeing dogs on leashes.

My family all agreed this was one of our best holidays and its largely due to this forum. Thanks.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back home & final thoughts on Istanbul

I'm so glad you liked Istanbul as many of us do! Personally, I love the architecture of the historic buildings. I hope you'll have a chance to come back again to see more of this beautiful country! I've travelled to Turkey many times, and each trip I discover something new.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back home & final thoughts on Istanbul

Heatherfeather, Thank you very much for these final remarks. I am also very glad that you liked Istanbul so much. Erboy is indeed one of the best hotels that are recommended at these forums. I think you will create another opportunity to return to Istanbul. Come back soon.

good luck,

enigma...

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back home & final thoughts on Istanbul

I am delighted you had such a good family holiday - and that Istanbul has got under your skin - as she so often does. If (or should I say, when!) you return to Istanbul, consider doing it off-season. While you may not have the good weather, tulips or blue skies, you will get to avoid the madness of the crowds a bit more, which often is a good trade-off!

Also look at the cruise schedule before you book too - as this can make a huge difference in places like Haghia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and the Bazaars. There are several websites that will tell you this, such as …cruisett.com/schedule/Turkey/319-Istanbul

Edited: 28 April 2013, 12:49
Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back home & final thoughts on Istanbul

Gonetodogs - that is a very good suggestion re the cruise ships in port - that link shows the actual numbers of people expected, as well as the ships and the tiems they are in port. Thanks also to Heatherfeather for your comments.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back home & final thoughts on Istanbul

Yes I was think next time might be the end of October. Less crowds would be a good thing. As for criuise ships, the last full day in Iatanbul we counted three ships in port. The largest one was so huge- almost 5 stories and looked like a small city. I do miss my Simit and even the Greek yogurt at the store doesn't taste as good as the y in Turkey.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back home & final thoughts on Istanbul

A good time to visit - and the weather was very good in October last year....

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,768 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back home & final thoughts on Istanbul

Followed some of your reports, Heather -so glad you and your family had such a great time.

Great tip, GTTD. Certainly would be worthwhile factoring in the number of ships in port when planning itinery and days at the most famous sites.

los angeles
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back home & final thoughts on Istanbul

I followed your reports with great anticipation. I would get home from work see what Heatherfeather has been up to with the entourage......

We are making our journey early September and your posts helped us in our planning.....

thank you....M

Edited: 28 April 2013, 20:44
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back home & final thoughts on Istanbul

I have enjoyed your reports, but I hope it is not the last time we will read your comments on the forum. You have many insights that would be beneficial to new visitors. You remember what you initially felt and how your experience in the city changed your perceptions. I hope you will return to share those with others planning their own vacations.

I also find great similarities between Istanbul and San Francisco. I am happy that you enjoyed the Erboy. I also think it has an excellent location.

Thank you for sharing your adventure with all of us.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back home & final thoughts on Istanbul

We are planning a trip to Istanbul in October. I am struggling to settle on a hotel, there are no many. We think we would like to stay on the European side, our budget would be up to £130 per night for a double room. Can anybody recommend a reasonable hotel?