We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arasta bazaar

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hawaii
Level Contributor
564 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
arasta bazaar

hello

i have read that there is a free whirling dervish ceremony in the tea garden at the arasta bazaar in the evenings.

is this true ?

please advise

thank you

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arasta bazaar

Hi desslock, An authentic Whirling Dervish does not so much perform as he does worship so when you see a "performance" you may not be seeing the same thing.

I have seen a Whirling Dervish frequently in the restaurant in the Arasta Bazaar. I do not know if you can see him every night or what schedule he follows. Dinner guests can enjoy watching him from their tables, but if you just want to stand outside of the table area you can watch for no charge. It is an open air restaurant. You could probably ask at the restaurant for information on date and time.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arasta bazaar

It isn't a dervish ceremony - it is one man doing the spinning movements to music (as they do in several places in Sultanahmet). If you are interested in the whirling, and not the actual ceremony, then you will enjoy it as a brief alternative to the 90 min ceremony, which is very spiritual and full of symbolism and meaning.

Despite not being a ceremony and being just something to attract the tourists, it is still quite hypnotically watchable - it attracts people and so they come and sit down for a drink!

3. Re: arasta bazaar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 05:18