We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claricication on mobile phones in Turkey

adelaide
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Claricication on mobile phones in Turkey

Please help as I don't understand all the discussion about phones. I have an old non-smart phone that has always worked just fine in Turkey in the past for SMS and an occasional call, Will it still be useable when we are in Turkey for 4 weeks in November this year. we will be in eastern turkey for 2 weeks and need to stay in touch with elderly relatives.Thanks

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,131 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Claricication on mobile phones in Turkey

sally_mAdelaide, Yes, it would work. Just get a new Sim card (or if the can do it, have the old one re-activated) and it will work just fine again.

enigma...

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Claricication on mobile phones in Turkey

Hi Sally ,

yes it will still work..when you arrive in Turkey jjust visit the nearest Turkcell, Avea or Vodafone offices where you will be staying at and inquire..

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Claricication on mobile phones in Turkey

Has something recently changed in Turkey? Previously I have just taken my mobile and used it the same way I do in any other country without registering, changing SIM cards or anything else.

I am on iPhone so I switch data roaming off so I don't run up enormous bills, and have an international service from my service provider so I am limited on how much I can be billed a day, but that is it.

Are there now some changes that mean that will no longer work?

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,583 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Claricication on mobile phones in Turkey

Things have changed if you want to buy a Turkish SIM card and put it in your phone - it was never the easiest thing to do but now they have introduced a charge (tax) when you do this.

As for using your own phone, I have never had a problem. People always used to say that you could only use your own phone and SIM card for about two weeks before it stopped working but I never found this to be the case when I was living over there.

Jak xx

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Claricication on mobile phones in Turkey

Thanks for that Jak - I will just carry on using my iPhone in that case (and remember to switch data roaming off - I got caught out on that once!).

Edited: 03 May 2013, 19:49
adelaide
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Claricication on mobile phones in Turkey

yes, thanks. i also have always switched to international roaming. I have no need or desire to buy a Turkish Sim card as my phone use is very limited but we need to stay available to our family for the 4 weeks. Fingers crossed it will work for that time.

7. Re: Claricication on mobile phones in Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 05:16