We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Airlines Strike

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
Save Topic
Turkish Airlines Strike

THY strike will start on 15/05/2013 03.00.

Here's official announcement:

"We have previously announced that as a result of the negotiations relating to the 24th contract period, Hava-Is union gave strike notification to our Incorporation. Today, Hava –İş Union notified their decision to our Incorporation that the strike will begin on 15.05.2013. Despite the strike decision, our Incorporation has not taken lockout decision and will continue its’ operations within this framework. It is possible that the parties shall agree on the Collective Bargain Agreement until the strike date. The public will be informed about the developments in the process going forward."

If you have flights on/after 15 May, take it into consideration.

Delhi
Level Contributor
82 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish Airlines Strike

Does this affect operations of other airlines, which fly into istanbul. I mean in terms of airport management at the Ataturk Airport.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish Airlines Strike

Hi Seawind12,

There is no effect on their operations at the moment. You will not face with any problem.

Aysun

India
Level Contributor
192 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish Airlines Strike

thanks for this alert. our flights into and out of turkey are on 21st May and 24th May. hope this gets settled till then. Please keep us posted about this.

Lausanne...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish Airlines Strike

Hi Seawind12

well, all services will be affected by the strike tomorrow, 15th of May.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish Airlines Strike

Thanks for the alert. We're flying in on the 20th with Lufthansa. I'm sure we'll be affected even though its a different airline.

Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish Airlines Strike

We are flying on 22nd from Frankfurt on Turkish Airlines. Anywhere we can track the actual progress of this strike? I searched on Google but couldn't find any news about the actual situation right now.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
336 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish Airlines Strike

I have no idea where this is coming from. I have reservations on the 17th and called today and they said no problem. And they answered the phone in 30 seconds. If there was a strike you would not be able to get through.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish Airlines Strike

The major newspapers in the US are reporting on it. It looks like many employees did join the strike so things are operational but it's. Worth monitoring.

Lausanne...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkish Airlines Strike

Well, now they are recruiting inexperienced staff to replace the workers on strike. Trade union made an announcement that flights are run in insecure conditions. I would reconsider my flight.

10. Re: Turkish Airlines Strike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 06:20