We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transportation

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NEW JERSEY
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Transportation

Hi

Me and my wife will be travelling to Istanbul on Sat reaching Sunday evening (around1645). I have completed evisa and will carry with me. I hope it reduces time at Airport.

I have few questions -

- Need transportation from IST to Orient Express Hotel - I checked with hotel - they are offering me transportation for 25 euros. Are they charging reasonably and is it easy to locate pick up location?

- While returning, we need transportation from Sura Design hotel to IST (flight leaving 0030). Should I ask hotel to get a Taxi for us and what would be safe time to leave for the airport (considering it will hard to leave Istanbul).

- ATM at airport?

Thanks in advance

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,940 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transportation

travellerSANStourist, welcome to Istanbul.

Now to answer your questions,

- From IST to your hotel, it is best to take the public transport if you do not have heavy luggage. Get an Istanbulkart (transportation pass) at the airport metro station, get on the metro, exit at Zeytinburnu stop, get on the tram (T1) at Zeytinburnu and exit at Gulhane stop. Walk to your hotel (3 minutes). This will cost you 3.20 TL/person/card. Each person should get their own Istanbulkart. The hotel offer is within bounds but a bit excessive. (60 TL). A taxi will cost about 45 TL from the airport to the hotel.

- It is best to take a taxi at that hour. Have your concierge at the Sura Hotel arrange a taxi for you. It will cost about 45 TL. The pick up should be no later than 10.00 PM.

- There are numerous ATM's at the airport. There are some before the visa desk upon arrival and others at the arrivals hall after customs clearance.

- I hope you got your e-visas: "https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/", which will be great convenience.

enjoy Istanbul,

enigma...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transportation

We too arrived around the same time at IST about a month ago on a Mon. Our stop was 4 stops before you (University). Taking the Metro and then the T1 tram as suggested by Enigma, we were at the hotel in just over 2 hours after landing. The only thing to add to what Enigma said is to enter the platform towards Kabatas. Then again, I think this was the end of the line - so you can only go one way (towards Kabatas) - maybe. As you come out of the Metro (subway) you will enter the tram line. Very easy.

NEW JERSEY
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transportation

Thanks a lot for detailed replies.

I prefer metro for various reasons - I can keep tracking it on map and avoid traffic.

Enigma - I stumbled on evisa link while going through NYC consulate page. I have that could save me some time. We are hoping that we reach hotel with ample time in hand to go out and have good dinner (there is so much to eat).

Does most restaurants & shops accept credit cards? I am trying to figure out how much cash would I need.

Thanks again.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transportation

E-visa will save you from standing in line fore the visa. We did not get the e-visa and the line was very short to get the visa. Just $20 and passport - they put a sticker and that was it. Most of the larger places accept credit cards. Most places also take USD and Euros. We basically cashed in about $100 to $200 at a time, plenty of exchange places around and the exchange rate is good (actual 1.80, got about 1.75 to 1.78). The street vendors and the small restaurants you will need TL. It is difficult to say how much to take as you can splurge for a meal and it will cost you more than in the US or have the same quality food either standing or sitting in a café for about 10TL. One time we had a Sunday Bruch at the hotel - it was 40 or 45 Euro per person. Wine is pretty much out - very expensive, specially at the hotel. Beer, 5TL at a liquor store / grocery store, anywhere from 8TL to 20TL at a restaurant. One place (under the bridge) this one restaurant had excellent sea food - huge shrimp. Could not really tell the price on the menu (was smeared - which was very common, they write with a marker and not very legible). So asked said it was 25TL. Questioned again (too good to be true) - made sure it was not in Euros (some of these places and taxis quote in Euros), anyway to find out it was 25TL per shrimp. Lets say 10 -12 count - go with 10, that is almost $150 for a pound of shrimp.

We took extra cash and kept it in the hotel safe and took out about $200 as we needed it (and exchanged) it. Worked out fine. There was only one time in a packed tram that I felt that this guy was eyeing my wallet - so I just stuck my hand in my pocket and held on to it. Other than that never even felt uncomfortable.

NEW JERSEY
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Transportation

Thanks Kingwood1811 for your reply. Makes lot of things clear. We will keep USDs handy as well.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Transportation

If you prefer the Metro (subway) compared to the tram - and want to do a longer distance on Metro and a shorter distance on the tram take the metro all the way to Aksaray. Not to complicate things, but when you get off the Metro at Aksaray you will come to the Tram station Yusufpasa. Next stop on the tram is Aksaray - so don't worry - you are going the right way. From there it is only about 6 stops by tram compared to about 18 from Zeytinburnu. Overall, the trip looks longer but could be faster or the same as the Metro is not affected by traffic. The Metro goes way North from Zeytinburnu and then comes down to Aksary. I thought of doing it but got down at Zeytinburnu as I thought that was shorter. Can someone that is more familiar comment further.

7. Re: Airport Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 06:20