We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old turkish currency

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delhi
Level Contributor
82 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Old turkish currency

Hi. I have some old turkish currency notes. These notes arenlying with me since last 10 years. They have "ON MILYON" written on them. I understand these notes are no more in circulation.

Please suggest can these notes be used now and where. Can these notes be exchanged or they are useless. Also, how much is ON MILYON TURK LIRASI equal to in new currency. I fly for Turkey tomorrow.

Thanks for help.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old turkish currency

Hi Seawind, Turkey converted to a new currency in 2005. Your old currency still has value, but is not convenient because you can only exchange it at a Turkish Central Bank office. Your currency will remain valuable until 2016.

Delhi
Level Contributor
82 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old turkish currency

Is there any place near Beyazit where i can exchange the old currency.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old turkish currency

That will be 10 Lira (they knocked off 6 zeros in 2005). You can change them at the T.C. Ziraat Bankası

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old turkish currency

Seawind, I do not know the location of Central Bank offices. Your on milyon note is probably worth no more than 10TL, so it might not be worthwhile to spend time trying to exchange it. If you do wish to exchange it you could Google the Turkish Central Bank.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old turkish currency

In Beyazit, here - http://goo.gl/maps/iZU58

Delhi
Level Contributor
82 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old turkish currency

Thanks for reply. I have around 15 of such notes. So i might try to get them changed.

7. Re: Old turkish currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 06:19