We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I stay in Istanbul?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where should I stay in Istanbul?

Im beginning my research for the country and see lots of different areas for hotels on expedia, (Taksim,Besiktas - Ortakoy,Sultanahmet) etc... are these all areas in the vicinity of the touristy sections or on the "outskirts" of Istanbul? What area should I avoid staying in that may be too far from the action? Thanks! L

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I stay in Istanbul?

We stayed in three different hotels (plus one in Cappadocia). First we stayed in Old Town (right next to Sultanahmet), very close to everything such as Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia, Topakapi Palace etc. It was also just about 4 stops to Eminanu if you want to take a ferry. We then stayed on the Asian side for some r&r and also to be close to the SAW airport. This is too far so no point in talking about it. We then stayed at Levent district. The Metro (subway) was just around the corner and only 4 or 5 stops to Taksim (or to Sishane if you want to go to the bottom of the street). To me it was more convenient to get to Taksim from Levent rather than Sultanahmet. Not that it was difficult to get to Taksim from Sultanahmet. Short answer, Taksim or Sutanahmet, but close to the tram or metro stop would help things a lot.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I stay in Istanbul?

Good advice given above!

We also found the 'top questions' at the top right off the page helpful in choosing between the different areas! We go in september and have chosen the Erboy hotel in sirkeci (just next to sultanahmet) for our stay

Sel

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I stay in Istanbul?

Thanks!!!:)

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I stay in Istanbul?

Definitely look in top questions as the best place to stay depends entirely on what you want from your stay in Istanbul. The areas are very different and will give you a different experience.

What is right for one person is not right for another, and we can only advise on our own preferences and experiences!

Edited: 17 May 2013, 11:47
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
176 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I stay in Istanbul?

Travelling next week, I will stay in Tayhan Hotel which - according to the tripadvisor review - close to vicinity of interesting places.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should I stay in Istanbul?

Laura, one of the best areas to stay in Istanbul is Sirkeci, 10 minutes walk to Sultanahmet attractions, but at the same time 2 minutes walk to port of Istanbul, Spice Bazaar and Galata Bridge. Here are the good hotels at Sirkeci: "turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…". Sirkeci also has great restaurants. Have a look at the following website by an American wholives in Istanbul: "www.sirkecirestaurants.com"

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 17 May 2013, 18:39
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should I stay in Istanbul?

Thanks Enigma and Lanni!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should I stay in Istanbul?

hi Laura - We don't know much about you and your plans, likes, interests and budget to give you anything more than subjective or personal favorites. The absolute best way to start your fun planning stage is to take advantage of this forum from the "get-go", observe and digest all the info available and come back for fine tuning.

Be sure to read the FAQ t top right as GTTD suggested. In addition review those titles in the top green bar as you will visually see pictures, read reviews and visitor rankings of many attractions. And most helpful, using THE SEARCH BOX is the best.

If you are a solo visitor, you might enter SOLO VISITOR in the box. Or perhaps 5-DAY ITINERARY .... or just about any questions you may initially have. This will allow you to read years of posts on your inquiry from past

visitors and DE's as well. Here you will get ideas from travelers with like interests or even get ideas on things you had no idea existed.

I, personally liked staying at the Sirkeci area that Enigma suggested. It is ajacent to Sultanhamet, and is easily accessible via the great Istanbul transist system of trams, metro, buses, ferries ..... to all other areas within a very short and affordable ride.

Best to you.

Sharon

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should I stay in Istanbul?

In Taksim, I've stayed at Pera Tulip Hotel and had a great stay! http://www.peratulip.com/ The hotel is one block below Istiklal Caddesi, so its a quick walk to the stores, bazaars, & restaurants. And imo, the food is great in this part of town. Just walk up & down the many side streets of Istiklal Cd. and look at the menus. For me, seeing a lot of Turks having dinner indicates that it's a good place to have a meal.

In Sultanahmet, I've stayed at the Dersaadet Hotel, Hotel Uyan, Niles Hotel, Tulip House Hotel, and Emine Sultan Hotel. All of these are very close to the major sights. What's great about Sultanahmet is that you can stay in a range of hotels at various prices and it's a quick walk to visit the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofya, Hippodrome, Basilca Cistern, Topkapi Palace, Mosaics Museum, Arasta Bazaar, Grand Bazaar, as well as, a couple hamams. The Spice Bazaar is down the street in Eminonu next to the Yeni Cami (New Mosque).

If you walk across the Galata Bridge and take the stairs on the left side of the street, you take the hill to reach Galata Tower, which is a must-see, imo. And just a bit further is Istiklal Caddesi and - you'll be in Taksim.

http://www.dersaadethotel.com/

http://www.uyanhotel.com/

http://www.hotelniles.com/

http://www.hoteltuliphouse.com/index.html

www.eminesultanhotel.com/english/suites.php

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should I stay in Istanbul?

@Sharon Thank you! I have definitely did the search panels but became confused when I saw all the different areas people were suggesting.

@Globe 2 Thank u very much:)