We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning Crooked Taxi Drivers

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
367 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Warning Crooked Taxi Drivers

I just got done reading something on here about crooked taxi drivers and I still fell into the trap.

Big friend trying to talk to me , meanwhile I feel he has a fast meter but can't be sure because of the traffic.

Get to my destination and I know (no doubt) I gave him a 50 bill and as I'm picking up my packages he says you only gave me 5 and holds up a 5.

Nothing I can do except get screwed. Make sure when you pay these crooks you state the bill you have and don't give it to them until they make change.

A few more experiences like this and Istanbul will be off my list. I thought Prague taxi drivers were crooks. They are amateurs compared to Istanbul Crooks.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
185 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Small-Group Istanbul in One Day Tour...
1,235 Reviews
from US$72.25*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from US$250.75*
US$295.00
Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,885 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning Crooked Taxi Drivers

I have just seen this posting after reading your Edinburgh Posting.

This same thing happened to us about 4 years ago. The taxi driver told us we only gave him 5 lira, of course, we did give him 50 lira, but did not realise it was a trick and gave him another 50 lira note.

We realised our mistake when we got into the Airport. So, we emailed our Hotel where we had been staying and told them what happened. They went to their CCTV and saw the taxi and driver who picked us up. They rang the Taxi Company, got the Manager of the Company to come to the Hotel and watch the video.

The result was, the taxi driver was dismissed and the owner of the company gave the Hotel the money that we had been swindled out of. The Hotel forwarded the money to us....Result and a happy ending for us.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,006 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning Crooked Taxi Drivers

Frances-Jane, What a wonderful service by a hotel. I am impressed. People do not foıllow up even their own complaints so closely. For the benefit of everyone, can you tell us which hotel that was?

enigma...

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,885 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning Crooked Taxi Drivers

The Hotel was the Sirkeci Konak. I have to say it was a wonderful place to stay and we could find no faults with it at all. The staff, in particular, where so efficient and a pleasure to be around. I actually lost my gold watch in Istanbul, it fell off my wrist. A member of the Hotel Staff took us to the Police Station and translated for us. We got a Police report and I got my Insurance pay out for the watch.

I cannot recommend this Hotel more highly.

http://www.sirkecimansion.com/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Konak Hotel
Konak Hotel
436 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,006 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning Crooked Taxi Drivers

Thanks, Frances-Jane. Sirkeci Konak is indeed one of the most outstanding hotels in Istanbul. They get nothing but 5 stars from all reviewers: "tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d654651…". Our DE, Busy-retired also stayed at this hotel very recently and she will probably see this post and join in the conversation.

enigma...

Mentioned in this post
Konak Hotel
Konak Hotel
436 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
220 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning Crooked Taxi Drivers

We are in istanbul at the moment exactly the same con was played on us the taxi number was 34 TEN 70, BEWARE !!!!!!!!

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning Crooked Taxi Drivers

I've always been sceptical about this 50 TL / 5 TL scam. I had assumed it was actually the first-time visitor who made the mistake confusing these notes (but the old brown 5TL should soon disappear).

Earlier this month I returned to Istanbul from London. The taxis waiting are all "airport" taxis and one has little choice but to get into the first in line. We had a swift journey into town - the driver chatting with us (in Turkish) and also at times to a friend on the phone, occasionally no hands on the wheel at all. Somewhat hyperactive.

When I got out the charge was 56 TL, so I handed over a 50 and a 10. When I looked again, he had a 5 and a 10 in his hand. I said "what?!" and perhaps he sensed my tone, but he immediately said "Oh, the 5 is your change." (Yeah, so why are you still holding the ten?)

It sickens me that this sort of small-time scam still goes on. In this case the man got nothing more than the right charge from me (actually 1 TL off) - and I can't be certain he hoped to defraud me, so I won't reveal his cab number.

I don't want to discourage new arrivals from using a taxi at Ataturk Airport, but I do again suggest that you pose for a photo beside the cab before you get in. Just like any excited out-of-towner. The cab number appears in giant letters on the side.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Ataturk Airport
Ataturk Airport
Istanbul, Turkey
Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
220 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning Crooked Taxi Drivers

we used havatas bus back to the airport 10ytl each, No problems!! ;-)

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
752 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning Crooked Taxi Drivers

That makes good sense to me, England Alan. I avoid taxis in every country whenever I can. There are perfectly acceptable other ways of getting from the airport to the hotel. Many people carry excessive amounts of luggage on board - I have done this myself in the past but not any more. I carry hand luggage only and most of my friends (male and female) do the same: the allowances are quite generous. It just requires a little planning. This also speeds up the embarkation and disembarkation process considerably. People sometime wait 30 minutes or more to collect their cases from the carousel. Statistically airlines lose one suitcase on every flight and others are damaged or delayed. It can be very inconvenient and costly returning to the airport to collect a suitcase that was put on the wrong plane too. These are avoidable problems.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning Crooked Taxi Drivers

The color of five lira notes has been changed from brown to purple. The old five lira notes will not be used in transactions as of January 1, 2014. Do not accept the old brown notes. I am sure 5/50 lira scams will diminish considerably since the colors of these banknotes are different now.

Be warned,

Borus

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning Crooked Taxi Drivers

Borus, I just looked that I have one old brown 5 lira note at home. So I can leave it home when I come to Istanbul this month?! :)

Mentioned in this post