We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beijing
1 post
Save Topic
Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport

Hey,

I have a question of the Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport.

We planned to take a evening flight with Pegasus from Athen to Istanbul, and change another flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Kayseri 3 hours later.

I'm not sure if 3 hours is enough for the connecting, and also I concerned if Pegasus airline is used to delay their flights or not.

Thanks.

175 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport

S.Akhbary, You will collect your luggage and recheck with Turkish Airlines at Sabiha Airport at the domestic terminal. You need a visa for that purpose. But besides that 1 hour is definitely not enough to make this connection and there is a great likelihood that you may miss your Antalya flight. I always recommend a minimum of two hours connection from an international to a domestic flight.

There is a second security control after chec in but before boarding your Antalya flight. If you miss your flight, your luggage will miss it also most likely and it will arrive with you at Antalya at a later flight. Once again if you miss your flight, Turkish Airlines will put you in the next AVAILABLE flight (not necessarrily the next flight).

I suggest you get another flight to Antalya from Sabiha Gokcen at least 2 hours after your arrival from Tehran..

good luck,

enigma...

Stuttgart, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport

Thanks for you kind reply.

Are sure we should collect our luggage?

Last year we had a fligh from tehran to ankara and a domestic flight from ankara to antalya but we did not cllect our lluggage in ankara and we collected them in antalya.

Is there the domestic flight departure in the same level of the arrival of one level up?

Thanks again for your reply in advance.

Best

Akhbary

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport

Saeed, If both your flights are with Turkish Airlines on a single ticket, yes, your luggage will be transferred to Antalya automatically by Turkish Airlines and you will pick them up at Antalya at the customs area of the international arrivals. However you will still go through immigration at Istanbul, since Antalya flight is a domestic flight.

The arrivals and departures are on separate floors.

If you do not have to pick up your luggage at Istanbul and if you are seated at the front of the plane on the Tehran-Istanbul flight for quick exit at Istanbul, and if you let your flight attendandants know about your connection, then you have a greater chance to make it to your Antalya flight.

enigma...

Stuttgart, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport

Hi

Thanks a lot for your precious information that will be a great help for me

Actually I downloaded the arrival and departure flights plan from Sabiha official site and now everything is clear for me.

Best

Saeed

7 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport

Hy all..

I am going to travel from Kayseri Airport to Schipol via SAW with pegasus. I read here that there is a bad and good experiences in this airport. when I check on pegasus website, they offer combination flight with only 1h5m transfer time. is it enough time to do all administration list such as passport control, going from one gate to another. or should I choose another flight with more time?

Best regard,

Ganang (from Indonesia)

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport

Ganang, You should take an earlier flight from Kayseri to SAW. I hour and 5 minutes is too tight. Post number 4 by "chrissybartlett" is very discouraging. Although you are simply leaving the country, there will still be a passport control and security check at Istanbul. Your luggage can be checked at Kayseri through Schipol by Pegasus. So I suggest a minimum of 2 hours of connection time.

good luck,

enigma...

7 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport

Thanks enigma for your respond.

I finally choose flight at 10am from keysera and then flight to amsterdam at 7pm. I think it is the best choice so far. I found another alternatif flight such as flight from kaysera with pegasus and to amsterdam with transavia. It gives around 2h30m connecting time but I dont want to take a risk. I prefer travelling (again) around city centre before my flight to amsterdam.

best regards,

Ganang

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport

Ganang, good for you. You can take the Havatas bus to Taksim and back to the airport. "http://www.havatas.com.tr/".

enigma...

Save Reply
19. Re: Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport

As I understand from posts from another thread in this forum, there is NO need for a transit visa if you do not leave the airport.most/all of these responses were to transit through Istanbul Atatürk Airport (IST).

My question is, is the same applicable for transit through Sabiha Gökçen International Airport (SAW)?

Does this airport also have a transit area similar to Atatürk Airport ? Is it possible to transit without passing through passport control at the Sabiha Gökçen International Airport ?

I'm an indian national flying from frankfurt, Germany to Dubai

I plan to fly with pegasus airlines with a changeover at Sabiha Gökçen. I proceed to dubai with the same airline. My luggage would be checked in all the way to dubai.

Changeover time is 3 hours. Is this sufficient?

Would very much appreciate your suggestions, especially from enigma2007

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport

update Nov. 2014: VERY long lines at passport control at this airport, both at arrival AND even worse at departure. Every day, any hour. Plan 60'-90' for this alone! Worst airport I've ever seen in this respect. (Connecting within the transit area much faster though, provided you already have the boarding pass for the ongoing flight. Try the Pegasus lounge too, good value at €15 )

Edited: 27 November 2014, 11:02
Reply to: Connecting flight at Sabiha Gokcen Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted