We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An Unfortunate Incident At Cappadocia

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,888 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
An Unfortunate Incident At Cappadocia

Hi Folks,

Yesterday, an unfortunate incident occurred at the skies of Cappadocia. Two ballons that were close to each other collided and one of the balloons crashed to the ground with a higher speed than expected. Two elderly tourists from Brazil have died. Here are some newspieces: "hurriyetdailynews.com/…", and "…hurriyet.com.tr/2/49558/0/1/balonun-dusme-a…" (taken by an amateur camera).

This shows that, balloon trips everywhere in the world are not without their risks, "dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2312848/Egypt…", and our visitors should look at the safety and security records of the companies they hire for the trip, rather than the prices they pay.

good luck,

enigma...

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: An Unfortunate Incident At Cappadocia

actually a sad day in aviation in Turkey

also a Plane crashes during air show in southern Turkey,( Adana ) killing pilot. The pilot was performing an acrobatic flight as part of the 2nd Adana International Airgame Festival.

hurriyetdailynews.com/…

my sympathies to the family of the 60-year-old pilot, Murat Öztürk,

Edited: 20 May 2013, 16:29
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: An Unfortunate Incident At Cappadocia

video of the Adana incident

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zlH9PRaC1Q

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: An Unfortunate Incident At Cappadocia

I have also read that there were about 100 balloons taking off on that day. I think there needs to be regulations put in place about how many can operate at one time.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: An Unfortunate Incident At Cappadocia

I agree, Heather!

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: An Unfortunate Incident At Cappadocia

Regarding the number of balloon flights, obviously they need their own air traffic controller on site - at the moment all they probably have to do is phone in a flight plan to Nevsehir or Kayseri airports.. Plus I would never go up in a balloon with a 20 person basket! Actually, I would never take a balloon ride in Cappadocia, as far as I'm concerned it's just another tourist scam that's got out of control because of the huge profits available.

You've got to question the reason why it's done at dawn, maybe to save the cost of fuel? Balloons can fly at almost any time if the temperature differential and breeze is good enough - however, you can maximise your financial return if it's cold.

On a different note, there's no-one (except maybe Turks) on the top of Mt Nemrut at midday. It worries me how sheepish tourists are. Baaa - follow the flock.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 20:44
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: An Unfortunate Incident At Cappadocia

Firstly, my deepest sympathy to the families involved in these tragic accidents.

Second, it would be great if someone in Turkey - Enigma?? - could now find some defintive way for us to point the frequent forum posters in the direction of the relevant safety info, so that those who intend to take fkights during their holidays can do their research to find a safe company.

There are so many posters asking for company recommendations,and truthfully, we have never been able to point them in the direction of any meaningful safety data.

It is also noticeable that some balloon company's have come on here and done battle on several ocassions when "balloon" threads emerge....but still they have provided us with no real safety info.

I have pointed out on several ocassions that many standard travel insurance policies do not cover ballooning, as it is regarded as a dangerous activity. That should be enough to prompt one to stop and think.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: An Unfortunate Incident At Cappadocia

It's pretty easy, Heidi. In all the years of ballooning in Cappadocia there have only ever been two fatal accidents in almost 20 years of flights. Both fatal accidents have been caused by balloons colliding - due to density of take-offs?

As far as any other "incidents" are concerned (collisions without fatalities, hard landings (sideways or not) with injuries) who knows? I reckon there should be a website reporting all of it, but would any Turkish bureaucracy be that open? I think given a bit of pressure they could be, you would have to compare the openness of the USA and Europe to such information.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,082 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: An Unfortunate Incident At Cappadocia

M sympathy to all the affected families, I saw a video of the crash on TV.

The company was one of those who has been highly recommended to us when we have been at Cappadocia, but I suppose that such incidents could happen even with the most professional company. IMO there are too many balloons starting and driving (flying) in the same area at the same time...

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: An Unfortunate Incident At Cappadocia

It's not easy David.

There must /should be data regarding serious incidents,etc whether or not there were fatalities.

In addition to checking safety data, it should also be possible for customers to check that the company does, in fact, hold current public liability insurance and whatever licenses, etc are required.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: An Unfortunate Incident At Cappadocia

OK, so the previous posters who said "visitors should look at the safety and security records of the companies" and "They are usually kept in their office and available at any time in any language. I can only speak for the ones I have checked personally when booking trips." were incorrect?

Are you saying that this information is not available if you were to ask for it? Or is it just not so easy to get hold of?

Obviously in the modern world of the internet it should be very easy to publish full records of every broken limb caused by a Cappadocia balloon incident. My guess is that the Turkish equivalent of the American NTSB or the European ESASI should be on the case.