We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sultanahmet to Attaturk - early morning trip

Napa, California
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sultanahmet to Attaturk - early morning trip

Got confused with how time is written and ended up with a flight out off Atatürk to Frankfurt at 5:50 am. I talked to an airport service who was going to charge us 15tl each but when he found out the time of our flight, he said his earliest pick up at 2:50 won't get us there on time. My boyfriend talked to backpackers and they said they can do it for 60 TL. It seems awfully high, but taxis might charge us more for night service. How much time do I need for the flight. I thought two was plenty, but should I give myself the hours? Should we just go for the taxi?

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sultanahmet to Attaturk - early morning trip

I would ask my hotel to arrange for a taxi. You should pay no more than 50TL for a taxi. There is only one rate, so there are no extra charges for early morning fares. Your airline will tell you when you need to arrive. We fly Delta and for the last couple of years they tell us to arrive three hours before the flight.

You have to go through entrance security, check your luggage, go through immigration, go through a second security check and get to your departure gate. This often takes us two hours. International flights start to board about an hour before take-off. I do not like to board late because there is never enough over-head storage and I don't like being forced to gate-check my carry-on. So if I had a 5:50am flight I would leave my hotel at 2:30am, planning to arrive at 3:00am. You think the airport will be empty but you will be surprised at the lines you will encounter. Ataturk operates 24 hours per day.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,295 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sultanahmet to Attaturk - early morning trip

Personally, 50 TL is high for a 3:00am flight to Ataturk from Sultanahmet. I bet the price will be closer to 40 TL. You should not pay a higher price for night taxi service! If the taxi tries to charge you more than 45 TL for service to Ataturk, take a photo of the taxi number, the driver, and make a (loud) big stink. You'll find the driver getting quiet and much more amenable in no time at all!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sultanahmet to Attaturk - early morning trip

Thank you do much! We have three more days left and glad to get the details of our departure out of the way. You have all been so helpful in planning this trip I thought I'd bother you one morre time. I will post a trip report for others later. In the meantime, off to breakfast and Bosphorus!

Trondheim, Norway
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sultanahmet to Attaturk - early morning trip

Take a taxi at 3:20, if it is 45 or 50 TL what is the big issue? It is cheap anyway compared with other places for such a distance.

Istanbul, Turkey
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Sultanahmet to Attaturk - early morning trip

you can book a transfer from a private transfer company. It costs about 25EUR. maybe from istanbulairporttransfer-assist.com/ .

ali

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sultanahmet to Attaturk - early morning trip

Leaving at 2.50 would get you there on time. 2 hours check-in is fine (especially at that time - and traffic will be light). So do what works best for you.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sultanahmet to Attaturk - early morning trip

Yes 50TL seems a bit high to me as well. I have never paid more than 38TL; however prices have increased since I was last in Istanbul in December. The online taxi meter estimates show something closer to 45TL, but those are always a bit low because you cannot enter your specific address. So, I have been providing a maximum estimate of 50TL so people are not surprised.

I hope it is no more than 45TL, but I wouldn't have a fit if it is 50TL. It is not worth less than $3USD to start my return trip with an argument at the airport. Stable blood pressure is more important to me. I save taxi fits for some over-charge larger than 5TL.

Check with your airline about arrival time. US passengers go through extra security & regular passengers go through at least two security checks.

8. Re: Sultanahmet to Attaturk - early morning trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 06:16