We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey Joining Europe Union

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Turkey Joining Europe Union

This really caught me by surprise, I was reading online that Turkey will be joining the EU June (next month) , currently I have Visa on Arrival benefits, and my travel is schedule for July 4th. Will I have to apply to a schengen Visa ?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,555 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Turkey Joining Europe Union

Onmytravels you mention community values.Is this to say there are no human rights abuses in Europe and that everything is hunky dory there?I don't think so.Racism is clearly on the increase in most parts of Europe and this is an abuse against one of the most fundamental of human rights.

As to Europe being worried about migrant Turks that too I find comical considering that right now tens of thousands of lower social class,uneducated,unskilled former Eastern Bloc citizens are now heading for the shores of the UK.

Turks have been in Germany alone for over 40 years now,indeed were welcomed there and many are now very successful people.But as they have made money and grown older many are now returning'home'.Amongst younger Turks they form the greatest bulk of the unemployed in Germany.They needed and used their fathers and grandfathers but they are no longer needed and so disaffect and disenfranchise them.

I feel quite certain that if Turkey fulfilled every single criteria required there would still be a large majority who would not want to give it EU entry.At any point where Turkey maybe close to fulfilling the criteria...they move the goal posts.How bloody humiliating for a country like this to be made to jump through hoops forever!

Turkey would do better to join no ones club,not the EU,far eastern,none,but to stand independently but on cordial terms with all nations.

As much as Ataturk had great respect for European culture(and France in particular)he must be spinning in his grave to see Turkey waiting on the doorstep cap in hand with head bowed like a lowly servant.

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Turkey Joining Europe Union

"As to Europe being worried about migrant Turks that too I find comical considering that right now tens of thousands of lower social class,uneducated,unskilled former Eastern Bloc citizens are now heading for the shores of the UK."

Just on what do you base this allegation?

Edited: 29 May 2013, 10:57
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,822 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Turkey Joining Europe Union

It´s a very interesting thread but a very political too and IMO too precarious for a travel forum.

I suppose that many of us have different opinions, for different reasons, probably changing over the years, and I suppose if everybody - of both sides - would tell honestly about his/her own point of view it could become pretty amazing.

But that´s just my opinion...

Edited: 29 May 2013, 13:57
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,555 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Turkey Joining Europe Union

Well I haven't lived in the UK for well over a decade now but I still keep up to date with current affairs there.If you don't then you won't know about the numbers migrating from eastern Europe to the UK and the fact that these numbers are due to swell very shortly due to further relaxation of border rules.

Hamburg
Level Contributor
354 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Turkey Joining Europe Union

Sarikanarya,

your post was largely emotional and less fact based. There would be a lot to say and to write on this topic.

As patara rightly says, this is a travel forum and not the right place to discuss such delicate questions.

I am, from my side, looking forward to my visit to Istanbul early october and see again many of my turkish friends from previous times.

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Turkey Joining Europe Union

You might find that these articles and stats are rather more informative than whereever you have been getting your information from:

…ox.ac.uk/sites/…20UK.pdf

guardian.co.uk/news/…

guardian.co.uk/business/…

I happen to live in London for a good part of the year, so am perhaps better versed in this subject than you care to give me credit for.

27. Re: Turkey Joining Europe Union

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 06:18