We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice ?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice ?

hello

we will be visiting istanbul end of this month . Is it safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice sold by the street vendors ? Is it also safe to drink tap water or shoud one buy bottled water?

Thanks

Meena

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice ?

Of course the orange juice and pomegranate juice is safe, they are freshly squeezed. Tap water tastes bad, so just stick to bottled water, cheers!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,768 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice ?

As VR says, the tap water is safe, it just doesn't taste very good. You'll prefer to drink bottled water but you can easily clean your teeth, etc with tap water, it will not harm you.

Juice, or anything else you eat/ drink, is just as like to be safe as it would be at home.

hawaii
Level Contributor
565 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice ?

hello

yes - it is safe!!

i tried the fresh orange juice,the pomegranite juice and an orange juice/pomegranite mix juice all from steet vendors and i am fine.

have fun and try a fish sandwich too

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice ?

I drink all kinds of juices, but my favorite is orange juice. I drink it from street vendors. I drink it from vendors in the little maze if streets by the Spice Bazaar. I drink it from a sidewalk stand at the Galata Tower. It is much more expensive in Sultanahmet than other places in the city. I have never become ill with anything I have eaten in Istanbul. I think the juice is particularly safe because I watch it squeezed. In addition, general hygiene in food preparation is much more fastidious in Istanbul than the US.

Tap water meets the legal requirements for potable water. I use it to brush my teeth. I use bottled water for drinking because tap water tastes as bad in Istanbul as it does in NYC. My doctor also believes that the bacteria in a water supply vary from place to place. Water in my city wouldn't make me ill because my body is familiar with the bacteria, but it might make someone visiting my city ill. So I drink filtered bottled water whenever I leave my own home area.

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice ?

For the truly brave - try the fresh turnip juice.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice ?

scbc, I am afraid I am going to put turnip juice on the same list where I keep Kokorec. "Foods To Try Next Year"

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice ?

How about Demirhindi, "tamarind juice from India".

enigma...

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
34 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice ?

You can't beat the zesty tart taste of pomegranate juice freshly squeezed by a street vendor! They used 3 or 4 fruits to produce a cup....so worth the 5 TL I paid. Can't wait to return to Turkey to have some more! The price of one pomegranate here in the UK is well over a pound.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice ?

Every morning the lady who prepares our breakfast took all of the seeds out of one of those huge pomegranates, and put the seeds in a bowl and arranged fruit around the bowl. It was large enough for a family of 8, but she just delivered it to my husband, whom she quite liked. I found it a luxury I am unwilling to duplicate in the US. You are right, lynanne, there is nothing to compare to a glass of fresh pomegranate juice, and it is an amazing bargain.

Yes Enigma. I do love a Demirhindi. I wished they were a bit more easy to locate, but when I find one it is a real treat. Turkey really has some unique beverages.

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safe to drink fresh orange juice or pomegranite juice ?

I love the pickle juice vendors too, though who knows (or cares) what the sodium content is.