We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mornings during Ramazan

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burlingame...
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mornings during Ramazan

I will be traveling through Turkey during the last 2 weeks of Ramazan. I understand that there are drummers going through the streets in the early morning hours as a reminder for everyone to have a bite to eat before the fasting begins. Is it very loud and intrusive if you're a light sleeper? Should I bring earplugs?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,001 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mornings during Ramazan

chaparita, There may be drummers to announce the "sahur" (lest meal before sunrise). So if you are a light sleeper, bring your earplugs.

enigma...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mornings during Ramazan

I have never heard a drummer in Istanbul or in any other areas where I have been during Ramazon in the last 50 years. When we lived in a small village in the 1960's the drummer started on the far side of the village and we would listen as he progressed to his final stop in front of our apartment. Within a week we adjusted and went right back to sleep as soon as they started. If you are sensitive to noise earplugs take up no space & you may appreciate them for the morning prayer call.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mornings during Ramazan

The drummers used to come past my house in Bodrum when I lived there and they were quite loud. Sunrise is very early at the moment so if you are a light sleeper earplugs would be a good idea.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 08:41
4. Re: Mornings during Ramazan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:19