We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey during Ramadan

New York City
Level Contributor
285 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Turkey during Ramadan

Hi All - we will be in Turkey for our honeymoon which coincides with Ramadan. Does anybody foresee any strict drinking or eating enforcements? Clearly we wouldn't want to drink or eat in public but any feedback from people who live in Turkey would be great.

Thanks,

Jessica and Azal

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkey during Ramadan

You can eat and drink where you want and when you want, don't worry.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,120 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkey during Ramadan

jlblock1122, You have not seem to have made some research about Turkey and its culture. Just like KediYavrusu has said, you can eat and drink wherever you want and whenever you want.

enigma...

New York City
Level Contributor
285 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkey during Ramadan

Thanks.. @enigma - you're right.. haven't had much time to research that part much as I've had a wedding to plan. My fiancé (middle eastern) has traveled to islamic countries where it was prohibited so he wasn't sure how it was enforced in Turkey. Just wanted to be sure..

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkey during Ramadan

Hi jlblock, Unlike most countries with a majority population that follows Islam, Turkey has a secular government not a religious government. For this reason many things are different in Turkey as opposed to their neighbors in the middle east. Women have no mandatory dress code, and are allowed to drive automobiles and vote and own property. It is possible to purchase and consume alcohol in Turkey. There is even a growing wine industry in Turkey, and Efes, is an excellent locally produced beer. The majority of the population is Muslim, and you will hear the prayer calls, and women should cover their heads and shoulders when visiting a mosque. The rights of non-believers (including tourists) are protected. It will likely be a different environment than what you husband experienced in other middle-eastern countries.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkey during Ramadan

Ooh hang on. Firstly, in the month of Ramazan many bars in parts of Istanbul will close up, perhaps for only the first few days, but in many areas of the country there is increasing pressure to stay shut.

It has always been best to be discreet with one's eating and drinking during this month, but now there is a ban on smoking indoors, and while the weather is so hot, it's more difficult to show this kind of respect.

I hope you will be visiting the Aegean or Mediterranean Coast, where there really is no problem at all. I'm writing now from a street in Selcuk / Ephesus, with a cold beer beside me, and I honestly had no idea Ramazan was starting until a small man beating a very large drum wandered past. [[But then, Izmir is at the heart of anti-Erdogaz feeling.]]

tehran
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkey during Ramadan

I want to visit Istanbul in Ramadan . I want to know about shopping during this month? is any there sale? how about eating? Are the restaurant open? thanks

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,120 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkey during Ramadan

zara, During Ramadan, all malls, shops, and stores and a huge majorityof the restaurants and bars are open. In Istanbul, you will hardly notice it is Ramadan. According to latest statistics, only 33% of the Turkish population fast. So you can shop and eat at your own leisure.

enigma...

8. Re: Turkey during Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 07:19