We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help figuring out the Hotel description language

Houston, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help figuring out the Hotel description language

I'm trying to book a hotel in Istanbul, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what they mean in their descriptions. I need a room with two beds, one king (preferably) or queen sized bed and a second bed, twin OK (for my 17 year old).

Here are my questions:

What is the difference between a triple room and a family room?

What is the difference between a regular and a superior room? (most of the time, I can't see a difference in the description, if there is a description)

Most say that there might be an extra charge for a third person. Do they usually do that (even though I indicate in my booking parameters that it is a party of three), and if yes, about how much extra should I expect to pay?

Should I tip the front desk person and any other hotel staff? If yes, what is an OK amount

Last but not least, I read that people try to haggle the airport transfer price. How customary is it to haggle this service? I have no problem haggling in the bazaar, but am not sure about services in general.

Thanks.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help figuring out the Hotel description language

İ can only speak for myself TheDacian, in our place a triple room is a room with one double bed and one single bed. A family room can sleep parents, and 2 or 3 (smaller) kids. We normally upgrade families with older kids to 2 separate rooms and that works better for everybody.

We run just a pension so İ cannot comment on regular and superior. Booking hotels myself for holidays İ can only comment on this thinking one hotel can mean a larger room, or a better view...

İf there is an extra charge for a third person it normally means you will get a double bedded room and they will put a folding bead stead in the room. (So that is not the case in a already triple room İ would expect).

And İ am fully with you on negotiating on transport. İ live here now for 12 years and İ would not negotiate on the issue ever, even though İ do know there are people trying to negotiate on everything.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,131 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help figuring out the Hotel description language

TheDacian, welcome to Turkey.

From my own experience about hotels in Turkey,

A triple room may have three single (twin) beds but a family room is usually a double bed (king or queen) and a twin bed.

A superior room may have larger area (sq ft), more windows, maybe a balcony, larger bathroom, better views, more amenties, and possibly can accomodate more than two people more comfortably with extra beds.

Most hotel rooms have double or two single beds and priced for two people. A single person may occupy such a room with slightly less price but a third person should also pay extra. The amount of extra charge depends on the hotel but maybe 10-30% more than the satndard double occupancy charge. Family rooms or triple rooms or double rooms with temporary extra bedding in it will qualify for an extra charge for the third person.

I would tip the front desk person and the chamber maid and of course the waiters at the restaurants. The chamber maid and the hotel desk people can be tipped 10 Euros minimum.

Finally I would never try to negotiate the airport transfer rate, but you can still tip the driver personally extra if you are happy with him. If you do not like the price, book another transfer company or find another mode of transport.

good luck,

enigma...

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help figuring out the Hotel description language

Terminology varies between hotels and what it means in one may not be what it means in another! Once you have a shortlist, ask! Most hotels will be happy to help you find the best room to suit your needs.

Hotel rooms (especially in the boutique hotels) tend to be small in Istanbul - and extra space is what you generally are paying for when you upgrade to a deluxe or superior room (along with possibly view). I would always suggest that people stay in a hotel where their budget will allow them to do this.

When it comes to transfers, you can't haggle but you can spend some time making sure you are getting a good deal. Some hotels include a free one way transfer from the airport, others will arrange a shuttle or cheap transfer, others will be very expensive and you would be better booking it yourself.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
333 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help figuring out the Hotel description language

I can recommend the Adamar Hotel which is located within walking distance to all the main attractions. We stayed in a triple room with a king bed and a twin-bed sized lounge that our son slept on. The Adamar has a wonderful rooftop restaurant with a view of the Blue Mosque and Aya Sophia.

Houston, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help figuring out the Hotel description language

Thank you all for your help.

6. Re: Need help figuring out the Hotel description language

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 05:20