We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lailat al Miraj 2014

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
292 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Lailat al Miraj 2014

I'm considering a trip to Turkey in late May, 2014. I see that Lailat al Miraj falls on Many 27. Is that a day in which some places might be closed or there might be other things not normal in Istanbul?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lailat al Miraj 2014

In Turkey these are called Kandilli nights and nothing is affected by them.There are no closures of shops or attractions whatsoever.Just on the nights there are special prayer services held in all the mosques but other than that no different to any other day or night.

If you are Muslim then of course even as a visitor naturally you would be welcome to attend to night prayers in any mosque in the city.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
292 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lailat al Miraj 2014

That's great to know -- and very interesting. Thanks very much, sarikanarya. This will be my second time in Turkey. Being exposed to Muslim culture and history was very enriching, and I hope to be even more open to it this time.

I was in Jerusalem during the Jewish holiday Shavuot this May, which did affect opening times for many attractions and businesses -- and also resulted in some interesting things to witness.

3. Re: Lailat al Miraj 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 05:18