We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with translation into turkish

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Help with translation into turkish

Hello!

Due to multiple food intolerances, I am on a strict gluten, dairy and egg-free diet. Before visiting a foreign country, I always prepare a card with a short explanation of what I can and cannot eat. It has proved really helpful.

Could somebody translate the following text and phrases into turkish for me, please?

For health reasons, I cannot eat food that contains gluten, milk, eggs, beans and peppers. Gluten comes from cereals (wheat, barley, rye, oats), which means I cannot eat bread, pasta, flour, biscuits etc. I cannot eat any dairy products, for example milk, butter, yogurt, cheese, cream etc.

I can eat rice, potatoes, lentils, vegetables (except for peppers), fruit, chicken, fish, oil.

Could you please prepare any food from these ingredients?

Does this contain flour (wheat)?

Does this contain milk (butter)?

Can I have a receipt please?

Thank you a lot!

Petra

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,270 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with translation into turkish

Petra, It seems that you have already gotten some advice on gluten free diet: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k6081…". Additionally, have a look at the following blog by Olga who visited Istanbul recently: "deliciousistanbul.com/blog/…".

For your specific questions,

Does this contain flour = Bunda un var mı?

Does this contain milk (butter)? = Bunda süt veya hayvansal yağ var mı?

Can I have a receipt, please = Fiş alabilir miyim lutfen.

good luck,

enigma...

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with translation into turkish

Enigma, Thank you very much. Yes, I have already done some research into gluten free diet in Turkey. I only needed the "dietary card" translated this time. Thank you for the phrases. Could you possibly translate also the remaining text?

For health reasons, I cannot eat food that contains gluten, milk, eggs, beans and peppers. Gluten comes from cereals (wheat, barley, rye, oats), which means I cannot eat bread, pasta, flour, biscuits etc. I cannot eat any dairy products, for example milk, butter, yogurt, cheese, cream etc.

I can eat rice, potatoes, lentils, vegetables (except for peppers), fruit, chicken, fish, oil.

Could you please prepare any food from these ingredients?

Thank you!

Petra

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with translation into turkish

Hello Petra, İ see quite some people in summer with the same restrictions. You have quite a difficult combination of restrictions. You can go to Migros, a big 5M does have a gluten free section, they have gluten free muesli, the dark German pumpernickel bread that has hardly gluten, and İ have seen soya milk in Migros but that might be not all the time available. Be careful with rice, it can have a rice shaped pasta in it too. İf the rice has light brown dots in it then it contains that roasted "arpa" pasta. A lot of vegetable food can have peppers paste (or pepper paste or pepper flakes).

At breakfast there is often fresh fruit, dried apricots and raisins, nuts. Also, many restaurants do cook with butter, even the rice gets roasted in butter before cooking. Personally İ only use olive oil for cooking, also for the rice, but you should be aware that it will be with butter. Soups can be thickened with flour but also with eggs.

You luck and enjoy your holiday!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with translation into turkish

VillaRhapsody, thank you very much for all the remarks, they will be really useful for my trip.

Petra

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,270 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with translation into turkish

Petra, I have found this intersting link that you will like: "istanbulfood.com/gluten-free-eating-in-istan…".

enigma...

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with translation into turkish

Enigma, thank you so much! You are a real help for all of us here at this forum.

I will have one more question. It is said that visitors often suffer strong diarrhoea when travelling in countries like Egypt, Tunisia and Turkey. Is this true? I am a bit worried, since my digestion and intestines are not 100% all right, so it would be a serious problem for me.

Thanks a lot!

Petra

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,270 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with translation into turkish

Petra, Not really. There will always be some visitors with very sensitive stomachs that will need gettin adjusted to new environments. One tablet immodium (available at every pharmacy in Istanbul) will do the job. For different reasons (because milk is not UHT in US) I get diarrhea when I visit USA but it passes away quickly.

enigma...

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with translation into turkish

Thanks, I feel much more relieved now.

Petra

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with translation into turkish

Drink bottled water when you are in Istanbul too. The water is safe, but it doesn't taste good and if you have a very delicate stomach it may upset you.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with translation into turkish

many white rice dishes will also have "vermicelli" in it ..so be sure to ask for plain white rice or steamed rice.."sadece pilav" and like VR has already mentioned many rices can also be prepared with a bit of butter

<<<Can I have a receipe please?<<< Ben tarifi alabilir miyim lütfen?

can you tell me what is inside this dish ? - Bu yemeğin içinde ne olduğunu bana söyleyebilir or

can I learn what is inside this dish ? Ben bu yemeğin içinde ne olduğunu öğrenebilirsiniz