We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in Istanbul - Aug 2014 for about 26 hrs

Appleton, WI
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in Istanbul - Aug 2014 for about 26 hrs

Looks like I will be flying Turkish Airlines back from Tanzania stopping in Istanbul about 10:15am on a Sunday and I thought I would add 1 day ($40 more to airline ticket) and depart on the following day (Monday) with a 1:15pm flight. I was looking to head to head for Sultanahmet and visit the Blue Mosque and other key sites. I know that the Market is not open on Sundays not sure what time it opens up on Mondays for me to catch that or not. Is it doable to see some of the major sites with my flight times in the old city area especially with a Sunday arrival?

Thanks - Brazoo

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in Istanbul - Aug 2014 for about 26 hrs

It takes a long time to go through security on the way out - I will say get to the airport at least three hours ahead. So that means 10:15a, leave Sultanahmet about 9:00a or little before. It will be towards the end of rush hour so traffic still could be an issue so consider taking the Metro (underground) instead of a taxi. So, you will have very little time (or none) on Monday. You should be able to get to Old Town around noon or shortly thereafter so you will have a good 5-6 hours during daylight and another 5-6 hours at night to walk around and enjoy the sights.

Level Contributor
277 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in Istanbul - Aug 2014 for about 26 hrs

worth it though in my opinion don't try to do too much. i prefer the hagia sofia to the blue mosque. the cistern is nearby and short but i can't remember if it is closed Sunday.

i forget whether the spice market is open Sundays (I think it is), so that is fun and a short cab or tram ride. try to find a restaurant with a rooftop if it's not too hot. don't forget to go to Hafez Mustaffa for baklava.

that should be enough in the time you have. Enjoy!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in Istanbul - Aug 2014 for about 26 hrs

Hi Brazoo, The Spice Bazaar is open on Sunday. There is also a very small and relaxed bazaar next to the Blue Mosque called the Arasta Bazaar which is also open on Sunday. I think every thing you would want to see in Sultanahmet is open on Sunday.

4. Re: 1 day in Istanbul - Aug 2014 for about 26 hrs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 06:20
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now