We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 1/2 days in Istanbul

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
3 1/2 days in Istanbul

I asked this question before but I wrote it too complicated, so I will try to do easier.

1 DAY WEDNESDAY

Arrive to Ataturk airport from Cappadocia at night

2 DAY THRUSDAY

Topkapi Palace, very early in the morning.

Eminonu port at 13:35hrs, take a ferry to Anadolu Kavagi. Visit Yoros Castle.

take the Ferry back at 17:00hrs back to Eminonu.

Walk around Sultnahmet neighborhood.

3 DAY FRIDAY

Tram T1 and Fonicular up to Dolmabahce Palace.

Go back to Taksim Square and walk along Istiklal st (may be T5) up to Fonicular Tunel to Galata Tower.

Try to go to Chora Church if we have time if not go directly to Eyup and take the Fonicular up to Pierre Loti Caffe.

4 DAY SATURDAY

Grand Bazaar

Hagia Sophia

Blue Mosque

Basilic Cisterns

If we have time cross the Bosforos to Kadikoy and have dinner there. Back to the hotel.

5 DAY SUNDAY

Arasta Bazaar

Hippodromo and Obeliscs.

Spice Bazaar

Ataturk Airport, our flight departs at 17:35hrs.

Thank you for your comments.

Gustavo

Edited: 21 August 2013, 01:46
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,388 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 1/2 days in Istanbul

Gustavo,

On Thursday, you have time to visit Spice Bazaar at Eminonu upon your return from the Bosphorus cruise.

Friday is OK. Dolmabahce Palace is 5 minutes walk from Kabatas tram stop. You do not need a funicular to go there if you are coming from Sultanahmet by using tram T1.

Saturday is fine. Start early. Get tickets for Topkapi palace and Hagia Sophia, online in advance: "https://www.muze.gov.tr/buy_e_ticket". Visit Kadikoy and have dinner at Ciya restaurant.

Sunday is fine. Take a taxi back to the airport at least 2.5 hours before flight. (about 45 TL). Have your hotel arrange for the taxi.

enjoy Istanbul,

enigma...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 1/2 days in Istanbul

Hi Gustavo - just another thought ................................. If time is a concern, think about the 1.5 hour Bosphorus cruise. It sufficiently provides the spirit of the Bosphorus and includes views of magnificent flora, homes on cantilevered lots, mansions, mosques, palaces, government buildings, and the beautiful Ortakoy mosque with it's dramatic location. You will also be amazed at the entire ferry traffic system. In this short cruise I passed by military ships, cargo vessels, and private yachts all with crazy seagulls tagging along.. It will disembark at Eminonou and as Enigma mentioned, positions you for a trip to the Spice Bazaar, a short hike to Galata, and on to an evening at Taksim.

As far as the Dolmache Palace, it will involve hours of your time and it's architecture, much neoclassical and Greco-Roman as in your own Palacio del Congreso. My personal preference would be to walk the Bosphorus from the Bestikas district up to Ortakoy. This is a beautiful walk seaside and if you time it to Ortakoy just right, you will partake in the excitement of the bridges lighting at sunset.

Are we totally confusing you yet?

Sharon

Edited: 21 August 2013, 09:04
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 1/2 days in Istanbul

Sharon and Enigma

Thank so much for both of you!

Questions:

-Spice Bazaar close at 6pm and the Ferry from Anadolu Kavagi returns to Emnonu at 6:30pm, is that correct?

-If I go to the Grand Bazaar on Saturday morning, early, I will find crowds of people also? Our hotel is a few blocks from there.

-Is San Salvador Chora really good? Is it a must see?. I m asking this because it is far away from the others attractions. What do you think about Going to the Teleferik and then to Pierre Loti Caffe to see the Golden Horn from there and not going to the Church?

Sharon

I saw the riverside walk that you mention, it is north from Dolmabahce Palace, isn t it?.

I really appreciate all your comments.

Thank you

Gustavo

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,388 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 1/2 days in Istanbul

Gustave,

-No, they are both wrong!. Spice Bazaar closes at 7.00 PM and the full Bosphorus cruise ferry returns at 4.30 PM.

- Not really. Early morning GB will not be crowded.

- Chora Museum is a must see. You should visit that place. You can take a bus fro Beyazit to Edirnekapi to see it. Afterwards you can walk to Eyup in about 30 minutes and take the cable car to the Pierre Loti Cafe. Here is the walking route: "http://goo.gl/maps/p1Kvh". It is a 35 minutes walk.

good luck,

enigma...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 1/2 days in Istanbul

hI Gustavo. You are very welcome, although by now I am sure you are convinced my mission is drive you mad with additional suggestions. As I don't know your interests, I will throw in my opinions. Again!

Chora Church (know as Kariye Museum to local cabbies. It was my first panic attack as I wasn't able to communicate this with the cab driver. Fortunately I had a guide book with me and began my proficiency to pointing and smiling. From/to Chora/Eminonou the cab is around $18TL. If you take a taxi or bus, it is best to avoid Rush Hour, or should I say, rush HOURS! The highly-regarded restaurant ASITANE is within yards and offers traditional Ottoman food replicating some banquet dishes prepared for the sultans, and enjoyed in a formal dining room or on a leafy patio. My lifetime passion is in art and music, so this was a MUST SEE. I had a cheapy kebab at a cafe on the small square by the museum and a "must-try" cold cherry juice.

So is it worth it? tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293974-d2…

While you are strolling Istiklal Street, stop in St.Anthony of Padua Basillica. In light of your recent WORLD YOUTH conference and visit from Pope Frances, this is the church where JohnXXIII preached for 10 years before he was elected Pontiff. i attended a very moving service there one Sunday AM and would not hesitate to either recommend or return in a heartbeat. mydestination.com/istanbul/attractions/11076… - Visit their website, and it will give you a sampling of the most beautiful Turkish music of faith. Also, thoroughly study this other source for much, much, good information on things to do that will help you prioritize your options as there is no way you will see everything.

Maybe you will be just too overwhelmed and just anchor at an outside table with a good cold Effes (local beer) or Raki (careful! Rocket fuel), or another glass of cherry juice and take in the essence of history and culture all around you. That sounds good to me too!??

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 1/2 days in Istanbul

Enigma

I was planning to take the ferry that lives Eminonu at 1:30pm and returns to Eminonu at 6:25pm (leaving Anadolu Kavagi at 5pm). There is another one leaving Emnonu at 10:30am and returning to Eminonu 4:25pm (leaving Anadolu at 3pm). As I want to visit Topkapi or Hagia Sphia before taking the ferry, I thought the last ship.

We like to walk and it is a 45 minutes walk from Beyazit to Edirnekapi so may be we ll do it walking (good pair of walking shoes!).

Thank you for rour help and advices.

Sharon

You ll never made me mad!! I love to read and listen different opinions. That why I post here at Trip.

I m an "Apasionado" (Tripadvisor spanish expert at the California forum) so I like to write and read about trips. I like to plan them. I prefer to walk than taking bus or metro because I watch everithing while walking. Buildings, traffic, people, etc.

I really appreciate your comments.

Thank both!

Gustavo

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 1/2 days in Istanbul

I am so glad Gustavo you came to post on the English speaking forum for Istanbul - it was taxing my poor Spanish to reply to you on the Spanish speaking forum, and there is a real wealth of Istanbul lovers here on this forum!

I would agree that the Chora Church is well worth seeing - but you must get there at a time before the tour coaches arrive because the building is comparatively small and it gets really crowded. I would also recommend you make time for a wonderful meal in the delightful setting of the Asitane Restaurant - I do not know whether that could fit into your plans - maybe you could make it late afternoon to Chora Church (by which times buses will probably have departed) and then stay for a leisurely dinner....!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 1/2 days in Istanbul

Hi Gustavo, I think your itinerary looks great. I am sure you can include Chora Church, but if I had to eliminate anything on that day I would sacrifice Pierre Lotti before Chora Church.

I try to avoid the bazaars on the week-ends because they are very crowded. Yet I do not know what I would re-arrange with your itinerary to make that possible. I do think you should go as early as they open. If you arrive before the cruise ship groups and the Istanbul locals both bazaars should be pleasant experiences. My one word of caution here: If you find something you want in the Grand Bazaar buy it. Do not think you can return later. It is so difficult to find shops among the 4000 places there.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 1/2 days in Istanbul

Thank you gays!

I read the menu of Asitane and seems to be great and good price. What time do they have dinner? Here in Argentina, we go around 9 or 10pm, I know that there are many countries that have dinner earlier, like americans do.

I read about Ciya in Kadikoy and seems to be really good also.

Those will be my must see and try also!.

I will try to be early ijn the morning at GB and get the best price as I can (that s my job, my wife hates that and I m good!).

Thank you all

Write me if you need something from Argentina!

Gustavo

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 1/2 days in Istanbul

Hi Gustavo, I found one site that said Asitane opening hours were 11.00 - 00.00. Turks tend to eat late - like you do in Argentina or Spain, but as the restaurant would be used to having a fair number of tourists visit, I imagine you could have dinner earlier if that would fit in with your plans. Ciya Sofrasi in Kadikoyu is also an excellent choice.

I seem to recall you mentioning in another thread that you were unable to get any guide books for Turkey. Check out these excellent websites - the first belongs to Buraksan - a former DE here on TA for Istanbul (and I have no idea why he is no longer since his info is always excellent)

http://www.allaboutturkey.co.uk/

and the other is by Tom Brosnahan - who formerly wrote the Lonely Planet Turkey books:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/

(and apologies if you have already found them!)