We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul stay

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
Istanbul stay

My wife and I (both in our 50s) are visiting Istanbul over the New Year holidays for about a week.

Can anyone recommend where to stay and what to do?

Any recommendations as to travel companies for day tours whilst there?

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul stay

Best way to start is to provide a budget for your prospective hotel. Also, would you prefer staying in the Old City where many of the major sights are, re: Sultanahmet, or where there's more night life like in Taksim/Beyoglu?

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul stay

Hi Louis, On the forum page, in the top left hand corner there are some "Top Questions About Istanbul". You can read through these to get some ideas about where you want to stay. Basically your choices are the new city in Beyoglu around Taksim Square or the old city consisting of Sultanahmet and Sirkeci, very near the ancient sights.

There are hotels for every budget, and we can make recommendations in both locations if we know about what you would like to spend for a hotel room. You probably need to factor in the fact that this week is one of the most busy time periods in Istanbul. Istanbul is a very popular holiday destination for many Europeans who take advantage of Christmas holidays. You will want to make hotel reservations as soon as possible.

I generally recommend that people coming to Istanbul do a little research. There are hundreds of things to see and do in Istanbul, and we cannot provide advice unless we know what you are interested in doing. I like DK Eyewitness to Istanbul as a good resources, with excellent maps and a terrific explanation and guide to the public transportation systems.

There are many web sites for visitors traveling to Turkey. I particularly like allabouturkey.com managed by Burak Sensai, an extremely successful individual in the tourist industry. The second site, turkeytravelplanner.com is managed by Tom Brosnahan answers almost every question you have about Istanbul. Tom wrote for Lonely Planet for many years, and then switched to the online media when it became clear that books would eventually be a thing of the past.

Tell us how much you want to spend, and maybe the area where you want to stay. Do a bit of reading on the things that are available to see and do, and members of the forum will help you develop a logical itinerary for you. Happy Planning!

Melbourne, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul stay

The price of hotels is not a great issue. I don't think I will be spending a lot of time in the hotel so value is the issue.

We want to do sight seeing, eating and some drinking.

I was recommended Sebnem Hotel. It seems to rate high on Tripadvisor.

Any thoughts.

Also do I book a day tour with some one or just be guided by the hotel people?

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul stay

We stayed at the Sebnem Hotel a few years ago and loved it. It is well located and a good value. They have a good breakfast that is served on a nice patio that overlooks the sea. It is walking distance to many of the major tourist sites. The surrounding neighborhood has all the amenities the traveler needs.

Maryland
Level Contributor
37 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul stay

Check out The White House hotel on TA.

6. Re: Istanbul stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 06:31