We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does a UK citizen have to carry ID all the time

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
447 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Does a UK citizen have to carry ID all the time

Hi,

I read somewhere that you have to carry your ID (eg passport) with you all the time.

Is the above true?

We (6 people) have British passport and I do not really want to carry everyone's passport so would it be OK if I just carried photocopies of each person's passport?

We are staying in Sultanahmet for 5 days.

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does a UK citizen have to carry ID all the time

Photocopies are perfectly acceptable. I have carried a photocopy of my passport with me in Turkey in various trips going back a number of years - never been asked for it yet though !

Also means that if for any reason you were to mislay your passport having a photocopy would speed up the re issue process.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does a UK citizen have to carry ID all the time

Yes,it is law that everyone must carry some official form of identification.As mentioned above,a clear photocopy of your passport is fine -safer than carrying the original and enough to satisfy any officer who wishes to see your ID.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
447 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does a UK citizen have to carry ID all the time

Hi

Many thanks for all your replies.

One more question about passports is that where do you keep your original passport when going out to places - eg would you give it to the hotel people to keep for you or is this not recommended.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does a UK citizen have to carry ID all the time

We always leave them with hotel reception.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does a UK citizen have to carry ID all the time

I have never carried my passport with me. I have never even carried a photocopy.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does a UK citizen have to carry ID all the time

Me neither...I've never had an issue. Once the police were checking IDs but as soon as they realised I was foreign, they weren't bothered.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
28 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does a UK citizen have to carry ID all the time

I carried a photocopy of my passport and left my passport in the hotel room safe. I did need a photo ID to leave as a deposit for the Hagia Sophia audio guide. I'd suggest not buying it (not very useful)...plus they seemed to "misplace" the IDs by not filing them correctly. I gave them my driver's license, and was offered no less than 5 passports. It took a long time for them to find my ID (I watched where the guy put it and had to point them to the slot) and it was the same for the folks in the long line ahead of me. But it was the only time I needed a photo ID for the 6 days I was in Istanbul.

Edited: 03 September 2013, 03:25
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does a UK citizen have to carry ID all the time

The only time I take my actual passport out of my hotel is when I go to Turkcell to purchase sim cards for our Turkish telephones. The rest of the time I leave it at the hotel. A good photocopy is sufficient for whatever you may need. I even used a photocopy when dealing with customs.

I would probably leave my passport in the hotel safe. If there is not one in your room you can leave it in the safe at the reception desk.

9. Re: Does a UK citizen have to carry ID all the time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 06:33