We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes and shoes for late September and early October

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Clothes and shoes for late September and early October

Hello,

We are going to Turkey from 22 September to 6 October. We are planning to go to Istanbul, Cappadocia, Pamukkale, Selcuk and Marmaris. My questions are:

(a) What clothes do we need? Would short sleeves and shorts be enough or do we have to bring jeans and long sleeves? I have heard it may be very cold living in caves in Cappadocia. How cold would that be? When we land in Istanbul on 22 September, what should we wear?

(b) Do we need to bring hiking boots? Ideally we want to be light packed, but having always been living in cities, we don't have very tough feet.

(c) Would it rain a lot during this period? Do we need to bring raincoats?

(d) Is early October still warm enough in Marmaris for swimming in sea?

(e) Is it wet in Turkey during this time? If I wash t-shirts in the evening and hang them up in room, would they be dry the next morning?

Thanks in advance for your help!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes and shoes for late September and early October

Thank you, JB, for posting this question. I do not have an answer, but share the question, as we will be in most of the same areas you will be visiting, and in the same time frame.

So am sending your post TTT.

This website does give some good weather information, and one can modify the dates/cities.

accuweather.com/en/…318251

Edited: 03 September 2013, 16:24
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothes and shoes for late September and early October

Here are some answers.....

a)at the coastal area's yes shorts and T's are fine but in Cappadocia you may want a sweater or fleece for evenings after sunset and probably in Istanbul too.For arrival blue jeans,chino's etc are fine.Choose layered stuff you can peel off as needed and replace as needed.

b)hiking boots are not needed just good quality comfortable supportive shoes or heavyweight sandals are enough.

c)some rain,i.e.an odd shower would not be unusual so not a big coat but maybe something like a kagoul or other light waterproof jacket would be handy.

d)yes defo,there will be many people swimming.The sea is lovely then after the long heat of summer warming it up :)

e)thin T shirts may possibly be dry but no guarantee.If your room faces the morning sunshine then likely yes.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes and shoes for late September and early October

I am travelling into Turkey at this time and just taking light summer clothing that I can layer as needed according to the weather. I didn't plan on taking jeans as I hope the weather will be warm enough still not to need them.

Do you think that jeans would be a good idea. I wanted to keep the weight in my suitcase down as much as possible but also don't want cold legs, thanks.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes and shoes for late September and early October

If you are going to similar places(Cappadocia for example) and into October then jeans or chino's or similar would be handy for evenings.It can start to feel a bit chilly once the sun goes down,especially if there is any breeze blowing.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes and shoes for late September and early October

I would not go to Turkey at this time of year without at least one pair of long pants. This week in Istanbul low temperatures will be in the mid-60's. While it will be warm during the daytime, the evening can be chilly. I would not be comfortable in shorts if temperatures dip below 70 degrees, and they will certainly do that during this time of year. I also would take a pair of long pants so I could visit mosques.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothes and shoes for late September and early October

Thank you all for this excellent, specific advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothes and shoes for late September and early October

Thank you all for the very helpful advice!

Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothes and shoes for late September and early October

I always wear the long trousers/jeans on the plane to travel along w' all the other warm weather gear. It's often cold on the plane or bus and yes layering is the way to go.

I always wash my clothes as I go in the room if there for more than 2 days. Overnight drip dry over the shower and airing someplace in the room the next day. If you have aircon they dry surprisingly quickly.

Also, not to be alarmist, but emergency exits from planes are best attempted wearing full clothes and shoes or heavy duty sandals.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 00:24
9. Re: Clothes and shoes for late September and early October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 06:23