We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Currency to bring to Turkey?

Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
What Currency to bring to Turkey?

I will be visiting Istanbul/Capadocia in Oct'13. Just wondering, what currency should i bring?

Currently, i have changed a little lira. Just wondering if i should go with euros or USD for the rest. How are the exchange rates for these currencies?

Any help on this is appreciated.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Currency to bring to Turkey?

Vajid, The Turkish Lira (TL) is now fully convertible; that means that the exchange rates for the "major" currencies, USD or Euro, are approximated at the international exchange rates on the date of transaction. If you have access to a debit card (ATM) and the charges from your bank are reasonable or non-existent, I would suggest using the debit card (ATM) to withdraw TL from automatic banks. I cannot comment about the situation with Singapore Dollars as to ATM charges. Good luck!

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
77 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Currency to bring to Turkey?

Other than ATM, where's the best place to change USD to Lira? Should we do it here in the US or wait until we get to Ataturk airport?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Currency to bring to Turkey?

Don't change any money at the airport. The rates are rubbish.

Wait until you get into the city and then change at a bank, PTT (Post Office) or any one of the many change offices and other establishments that offer currency exchange. BUT, make sure you agree the rate before the transaction takes place.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Currency to bring to Turkey?

Do not buy TL in the USA. Money changers are competitive. Grand baxaar area or Laleli are decent places. Shop around, but remember that unless you are changing thousands of dollars, I, myself, would not waste precious time on looking to save a few kurus.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Currency to bring to Turkey?

For me, I just go to the ATM and take money (Turkish lira) from a bank ATM. I'm charged a small amount, just like I'm charged when I use my credit card to purchase something. When in Turkey, pay use Turkish lira - and have a great time!

6. Re: What Currency to bring to Turkey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:20